Sign in with
Your question

GTX295 problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 26, 2012 4:27:07 PM

Since a long time ago I was getting the "Driver has stopped working and recovered" problem, but I didn't care much for it back then, for it was very rare and it would always recover, but for the past couple of months it started to get worst as in more often and started to freeze the whole system and the only way to get it to work again is to hard reset, after a little troubleshooting I removed the 295 and replaced it with an old 9600gt that I used previously and the problem went away.

I also had a little overheat problem with the GTX295 which lasted a lot o time until I bothered to look into it, which was a mistake, it ended up being too much dust in the heat sink.

So that being said, you guys think that the problem with the 295 has something to do with the period that it was running hot? If so what kind of damage it could have done to the GPU?

More about : gtx295 problem

a c 88 U Graphics card
February 26, 2012 6:02:17 PM

Yes I believe so , heat can cause so many problems like that , clean it up really well and try it out again and see how it goes, dont think you damaged it , it was probably only faulting at the time it was overheating.
February 26, 2012 6:10:25 PM

It's not heating anymore, but the problem still occurs, that's why I think it's damaged.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 88 U Graphics card
February 26, 2012 6:11:39 PM

Thats a shame , remove all the drivers and do a clean install with the latest driver , see if it makes any difference.
February 26, 2012 6:16:05 PM

I dont think it's the drivers fault, because everything is working fine with the 9600GT that I'm using now. I'm pretty sure it is the 295 card that is the problem, I just wanted to know if normally heat damaged cards can be fixed.
February 26, 2012 6:24:57 PM

Alcartur said:
I dont think it's the drivers fault, because everything is working fine with the 9600GT that I'm using now. I'm pretty sure it is the 295 card that is the problem, I just wanted to know if normally heat damaged cards can be fixed.

How hot was it running, and for how long? Most video cards can be run a lot hotter than you might think (105*C in the case of your GTX 295) and still be within specification.
February 26, 2012 6:39:17 PM

It was around 100~105º at full load some more demanding games would reach 10xº and then the game would start to stutter, it happened for about one year, if the card isn't the problem the only thing left I can think of is the PSU or motherboard.
February 26, 2012 6:48:19 PM

Alcartur said:
It was around 100~105º at full load some more demanding games would reach 10xº and then the game would start to stutter, it happened for about one year, if the card isn't the problem the only thing left I can think of is the PSU or motherboard.

Meh, it could be heat damage but there's still too many variables to know for sure. It may have just been starting to fail as far back as when the driver started to crash for you.

What brand is it? Its probably a semi-old card, but XFX and EVGA (and to a more limited extent, most others) have warranties that may still cover it. This sounds like it was no fault of yours, perhaps if you investigated it you could get a replacement.
February 26, 2012 6:52:01 PM

It's a 2 years and a half old XFX. I checked their website and the warranty only covers 2 years unfortunately.
February 26, 2012 7:03:31 PM

Just so I don't look back and regret I sent XFX a ticket to see if they can do anything about it.
a c 91 U Graphics card
February 26, 2012 7:11:27 PM

did you try much older drivers. sometimes new drivers force older cards to work too hard. ( written for newer architecture )
February 26, 2012 7:13:03 PM

swifty_morgan said:
did you try much older drivers. sometimes new drivers force older cards to work too hard. ( written for newer architecture )

But since I'm using a 9600GT now wouldn't it be worse?
a c 91 U Graphics card
February 26, 2012 9:24:09 PM

you can lead a horse to water..............
February 26, 2012 11:27:01 PM

I already stated that I think the problem is the card and I would only do that if I already had tried all those things, but to answer your question yes I did try it. I tried with several drivers, I replaced ram sticks, I configured the nvidia control panel to performance instead of adaptative, I disabled the powermizer, none seemed to do the trick.
!