Silent cooling my modest gaming rig

Hi guys . I am slowly putting together from my existing modest gaming rig the quietest machine I can but I'm clueless about water cooling since this would probably be the quietest method I would like the community's thoughts , my current setup includes :

I5 2500k
Hd 6950
Gigabyte board
And a seasonic 460x fl psu

I am intrested in any of the zalman passive water cooling units but don't know if they will be surficiant if not what are my other options for silent cooling , the emphasis is on silent , I don't need to overclocke much just the psu slightly and the gpu a little , so it's not like I need super low temperatures , any advice is appretiated . Thanks
11 answers Last reply
More about silent cooling modest gaming
  1. Sorry typo , the CPU *
  2. I see you read my post but then you linked a cooling system that in it's first review is said to sound like a car .
  3. unless the rest of your system is silent, there is no point going part of the way with water cooling-so you'd have to do it for both your cpu and gpu to make a difference.
    If you don't want to go the whole way,

Just get an 212evo/plus. It is very quiet-especially if you set the right profiles for the fans, and quieter than your HDDs.

Also, silence depends on your case. If you don't have a case designed for silence, you are fighting a bad fight.
  4. No reviews say it sounds like a car, not sure what you read there.
  5. raytseng said:
    unless the rest of your system is silent, there is no point going part of the way with water cooling-so you'd have to do it for both your cpu and gpu to make a difference.
    If you don't want to go the whole way,

Just get an 212evo/plus. It is very quiet-especially if you set the right profiles for the fans, and quieter than your HDDs.

Also, silence depends on your case. If you don't have a case designed for silence, you are fighting a bad fight.

The Only moving parts I plan on having in my entire system is one storage hard drive , I can live with that noise but no other , so I plan on cooling it all . Gpu cpu and north bridge (if required) with liquid , I'm asking if anyone can offer advice with passive liquid cooling, I don't know if this is possible with the 2 components I have listed . This is why I'm posting .
  6. jay_nar2012 said:
    No reviews say it sounds like a car, not sure what you read there.

I took this passage from the first user review out of the 15 available from the link you posted ,

"Fan Control Software - This thing comes with software which monitors the temps and you can set the 2 radiator fan speeds which I thought was great. If you push the fan speeds to "EXTREME" setting (there are only 3 settings), the revs go up to 2040 RPM, and PUMP speed goes to 3000 rpm, but so does the noise....Think of it as a distant car idling. I might replace the fans as I still don't like the temps...."
  7. A distant car idling isn't loud unless it has a turbo installed then what ever....

You could get a giant heatsink with fan like this- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018 and it will be quiet.
  8. If you can hear the noise well enough that you can say it sounds like something else,
    then it's too loud if the intent is silent computing.
  9. Please Jay don't post anymore about fans un till I have had someone who knows what they are talking about on the passive alternatives give me the information I need to either move on from my obsession with this project or complete it in the way I want to .

I appreciate you are trying to help but I have spent quite a while today trying to find out if the 2 fully passive zalman methods or the one semi passive one will offer enough cooling for my preposed setup that I really don't need alternative standard louder solutions suggesting . I could quite easily go on google and search for the quietest fan based standard solution myself
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Water Cooling Components Product