Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

A GPU for a 300w PSU

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 26, 2012 5:28:40 PM

hello, i am fairly new to this graphics thing but have a basic understanding. i want to upgrade to a graphics card, but i have money restraints, and can't indulge on a a new psu as well. my new computer is a dell inspiron 580, with 4gb ddr3 ram, a 300w psu, a intel i3-550 with 3.2 ghz lg 1156 and a 73w power draw. it has intels onboard graphics, but i want a dedicated card.

what is my best option of a card that will work with a 300w psu and is under 100$? thank you. with the graphics card you choose, let me know if i can play any newer games with that card.

More about : gpu 300w psu

a b U Graphics card
February 26, 2012 5:52:16 PM

A HD 6670.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 26, 2012 5:56:24 PM

yummerzzz said:
A HD 6670.


Less powerful and more power hungry than the 7750. If you have the extra $$, go with the 7750. If you're on a real tight budget then the 6670 is also a good choice.
m
0
l
February 26, 2012 6:03:09 PM

My Dell E510 had a 305 Watt PSU, I used a ATI 4670 for awhile. I am surprised a 305 Watt PSU can use a ATI 7750 or a 6670.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 26, 2012 6:07:57 PM

Shpati said:
My Dell E510 had a 305 Watt PSU, I used a ATI 4670 for awhile. I am surprised a 305 Watt PSU can use a ATI 7750 or a 6670.


4670 has a TDP of 70W while 7750 has a TDP of 55W while being much more powerful, thanks to 28nm process ;) 
m
0
l
February 26, 2012 6:12:25 PM

so my 300W could run a 7750 or 6670? thatd be great!! it wouldnt be too much?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
February 26, 2012 6:17:34 PM

jodom6 said:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/77... amd says i need a 500W psu for the 7750..?


I've seen someone run a 6870 (150W power draw) on a 400W Corsair unit. The 7750 draws 55W, I'm pretty sure it will be fine.
Share
February 26, 2012 6:19:52 PM

ok thank you so much!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 26, 2012 6:22:52 PM

jodom6 said:
ok thank you so much!


You can search the forum if you want to see other people's thought about a 7750 running on a 300W PSU as it has been discussed a few times recently.
m
0
l
a c 83 U Graphics card
February 26, 2012 6:37:10 PM

jodom6 said:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/77... amd says i need a 500W psu for the 7750..?


AMD also says you need a pcie power connector in that link, and 7750 doesn't use one. later it links to a support document for the 7900 cards. Marketing departments suck at putting up the right info. They should be emphasizing it doesn't need a pcie connector and works on lowend PSUs as that's its selling point.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 26, 2012 6:38:19 PM

unksol said:
AMD also says you need a pcie power connector in that link, and 7750 doesn't use one. later it links to a support document for the 7900 cards. Marketing departments suck at putting up the right info. They should be emphasizing it doesn't need a pcie connector and works on lowend PSUs as that's its selling point.


Way to lose sales AMD lol...
m
0
l
March 7, 2012 10:28:27 PM

Best answer selected by jodom6.
m
0
l
!