Sign in with
Your question

Choice of Motherboard.

Last response: in Systems
May 2, 2012 11:34:23 PM

I will be ordering my new parts for my second custom build within a month or two.

There's one specific component I need help with deciding, and that is the motherboard.

The motherboard I am leaning towards at the moment is the "Asrock Z77-EXTREME 6"

I was hoping someone could either agree with my choice or list alternatives and reasons why. I'd prefer the alternatives to be in a similar price range.

Greatly Appreciated.

More about : choice motherboard

May 2, 2012 11:43:34 PM

sorry about that, i kinda rushed the post haha.

Case- NZXT Phantom Black Full Tower
PSU - Corsair HX-850 ATX
CPU - Intel Core i5 3570K Ivy Bridge
SSD - Crucial RealSSD C400 128G SATA3 M4 SeriesĀ 
RAM - (havent decided yet, but 8gb DDR3 1600mhz most likely)
GPU - (possibly 7970)
HDD - (hdds from current pc)
CPU cooler is a noctua nh-u12p
m
l
May 2, 2012 11:44:57 PM

If you don't plan on CF/SLI, get the Pro3 Gen3 Z77 ASRock Board.
m
l
Related resources
May 3, 2012 2:03:46 AM

Quote:
Do you plan to overclock anything?

Ive been open to the idea of overclocking but ive never done. with this build being much better than what im running at the moment so its more likely i will because i trust this build more than the build i have. i am also contemplating crossfiring or sli for this build, if that makes a difference in motherboard choice.
m
l
May 3, 2012 2:49:32 AM

Quote:
Get the 2500k instead of the 3570k, it overclocks alot better.
Get this motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Biostar are a good brand, just overlooked alot.

i recently read that the 2500k overclocks better because the 3570k over heats but the 3570k has better power consumption. so im not sure which one i should get because im not sure how often/much i would over clock. and with that motherboard i wont get because i cant. the sites that im buying from dont sell it (im in australia)
m
l
May 3, 2012 3:06:19 AM

But thanks for the help
m
l
May 3, 2012 3:23:40 AM

agreed, but when i add my case due to its size or weight or something the shipping changes. my options of methods of shipping becomes more limited and because of that the shipping cost spikes. im mainly only using zylax.com.au for the case because the shipping is reasonably cheap.
m
l
May 3, 2012 3:49:21 AM

Quote:
It was a antec psu, don't worry i will find one on the other site.
Here is that motherboard:
http://www.zylax.com.au/asrock-z77extreme4-new-asrockz7...

thats a good motherboard and its also cheaper but im guessing the more expensive one offers something that the other one cant, could you tell me the difference. thanks
m
l
May 3, 2012 3:55:10 AM

Quote:
There is nothing on the more expensive board that you will gain from.

I would go with the Antec high current gamer psu 650W.
Cheaper, and more than enough for your intended build.

will 650w be enough for 2 crossfired 7970's? including the other components of my build?
m
l
May 3, 2012 4:01:13 AM

Quote:
Good point, just take that up a notch to the 750W version.
Here is the review:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1834/11/

i will look into that psu and the crossfire consumption.

thanks for all the feedback, greatly appreciated.
m
l
May 13, 2012 10:08:40 AM

Best answer selected by sk-jb93.
m
l
November 20, 2012 4:14:50 PM

I have an asus motherboard and used the matrix controller on the board for raid array. The controller went bad. I have never had a worse experience than with ASUS! !
BEWARE Asus has a horrible warranty department. There is one person that reviews the paperwork and sets up the shipping and repair her name is Terrie. Terrie can not be contacted even by level 3 techs at asus except by email and let me tell you info from her doesnt come fast. I have had my MB down for over a week and a half now and the advanced repacement which I paid extra for overnight delivery still has yet to ship although its been available over 7 days ago. I also recieved an email that said it should ship within 48 hrs but instead of shipping with the overnight that I paid for they are shipping it fedex ground. Also they have no other shipping except for fedex which is considerably more wait time than ups. If your board fails, which most of the tech boards will at soem point if you push them or even just use them for a small business platform then ASUS will not be there to help. Buy at your own risk. if you have any questions you can contact me direct at my email Pat@asilocks.com

sk-jb93 said:
I will be ordering my new parts for my second custom build within a month or two.

There's one specific component I need help with deciding, and that is the motherboard.

The motherboard I am leaning towards at the moment is the "Asrock Z77-EXTREME 6"

I was hoping someone could either agree with my choice or list alternatives and reasons why. I'd prefer the alternatives to be in a similar price range.

Greatly Appreciated.

m
l
!