i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz - Already Owned
2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz - Already Owned
2 x 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Asus P8Z77-V PRO Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
2 x GTX 580 in SLI
-Gainward GeForce GTX 580 1536MB - Already Owned
-EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Classified Ultra 3072MB - Already Owned
Seagate 3TB Barracuda Hard Drive - 3.5" SATA-III
2 x Western Digital Caviar Green Power 1TB 64MB Cache Hard Disk Drive - Already Owned
OCZ 120GB Agility 3 SSD
Blu-Ray Reader - Already Owned
22x DVD Writer - Already Owned

PSU, case and further cooling = ?

And the long version with links to the cheapest source I've found so far. If anyone can provide a cheaper source I'll gladly use it (I'm in UK):

i7 2600k with H100 WC
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-009-CS&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=2262
This is my current cpu, don't see the need to upgrade it yet. I'm hoping to OC it to around 4.5~4.7GHz as that stays within a safer voltage range. I intend to use a H100 to keep it cool, let me know if you think that's not enough/overkill.

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz & Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C10 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-313-CS
I intend to build a decent albeit less powerful rig based on the old parts since they're still fully functional so I'm thinking I'll leave two of the original 4 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz that it has. It's also an excuse to get faster and more ram.

Asus P8Z77-V PRO Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-513-AS&groupid=701
The first and perhaps most important thing was that this mobo enables SLI, something that my current one does not (current = Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3). It was the mobo upgrade need for SLI that prompted the rest of it all. That aside, reasons for this one is that it has 2 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (1@x16 or dual@x8) and although the i7 2600k doesn't support PCIe 3.0 it's quite possible that I'll want to upgrade soon enough. This way I'll have a mobo that is capable of sustaining the latest cpus and the new gpus can take advantage of the PCIe 3.0.

2 x GTX 580 in SLI
One is a Gainward GeForce GTX 580 1536MB GDDR5 - http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=452&lang=en
The other is an EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Classified Ultra 3072MB - http://eu.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=03G-P3-1595-ER
Both of these are already owned, the links are for quick access to specs. I already owned the gainward and recently bought the evga. I know that it having the 3GB is useless when in SLI with the gainward but I got it a lot cheaper than a regular gtx580 anyway.

I've OCed the gainward in my current machine to see if I could get it to match the clock speed the evga runs at. I got it to a core clock of 900MHz and shader clock of 1800MHz at 1.075V. Since furmark throttles the clocks to half of what they should be I was using the 'Heaven DX11 Benchmark' when doing it and I've run a couple games with it like this. I've found that it doesn't seem to exceed 90degrees when running games or the Heaven benchmark but it hits 96degrees when running some boinc projects for a while. I'd imagine it would be best to keep cooler than this, especially when in SLI, any suggestions?

Seagate 3TB Barracuda Hard Drive - 3.5" SATA-III
http://www.ebuyer.com/319640-barracuda-3tb-sata-3-5in-7200rpm-64mb-6gb-s-in-st3000dm001
Great storage for money and my current 2 x 1TB drives were getting on the full side. The currents ones are 2 x Western Digital Caviar Green Power 1TB 64MB Cache Hard Disk Drive in a RAID0 and I intend to move these over to the new build too. This is in part to save having to c&p all my stuff across, but also because I'd like to have the extra storage.

OCZ 120GB Agility 3 SSD - AGT3-25SAT3-120G
http://www.ebuyer.com/268244-ocz-120gb-agility-3-ssd-agt3-25sat3-120g-agt3-25sat3-120g
Was recommended it as being good value (£95) and it's an improvement over the 20GB SSD I have right now (which I use to accelerate my HDDs since it's too small to be of much use as storage). The Asus P8Z77-V PRO mobo has 4 x SATA 6Gb/s ports so I can connect the 3 HDDs and the SSD to them all.

I'm going to move over the Blu-Ray Reader and the 22x DVD Writer from my current system

At this point it gets to a case, PSU and cooling options and now I'm out of my depth (I've never actually built a rig before). Regarding the PSU I was suggested this site to get an idea for what I need: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

Putting in what I listed above I get the following:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
System Type: 1 physical CPU
Motherboard: High End - Desktop
CPU Socket: Socket LGA 1155
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3400 MHz Sandy Bridge
Overclocked: 4700 MHz, 1.34 V
CPU Utilization (TDP): 90% TDP
RAM: 4 Sticks DDR3 SDRAM
Video Card 1: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
Video Type: SLI
PPU: AGEIA PhysX PPU

SCSI HDD 7200 rpm: 3 HDDs
Flash SSD: 1 Drive
Blu Ray Internal Drive: 1 Drive
DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive: 1 Drive
USB: 2 Devices
Water Cooling Kit: Corsair Hydro H100
Keyboard and mouse: Yes
System Load: 90 %
Capacitor Aging (+ W %): 30 %

Minimum PSU Wattage: 1005 Watts
Recommended Wattage: 1055 Watts
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is only considering the H100 for cooling, no fans or anything else are included.

As for what I'm looking for in a case, I want something that's functional (sufficient space, inbuilt cooling, etc) but I'm really not too bothered by the looks of it. I would happily choose a cheaper plain looking one to a flashy one (provided it's just as functional).

And... cooling... I don't know what I need for that, any help would be gladly appreciated.

Basically, I'd just like to check that what I've listed above is compatible and get advice on the psu, case and cooling. Regarding a budget, I'd like to keep it fairly low but I could probably stretch to more than enough. The parts listed above that are yet to be bought come to £535.84 (this is ignoring the newly bought evga). I can make about £250 from the parts in my current pc that would be unused, if I built a new machine out of them I could probably charge expenses or something.

Many thanks for those that read this, let alone replied XD

drjiga

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Depends on your budget, perhaps something like this.

Unless you get a case with plenty of room to tuck in all the extra psu cables, a modular PSU is the way to go -- I am still kicking myself for not getting a modular version for my rig, which was only slightly more.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Hmm, though just wondering, why are you getting a 580 when 680s are out already? They also have a TDP of 195W which is a lot less than the 580s..especially if you're going to go with SLI.

aviral

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Case :-
Corsair 600T black edition

It will give you 4 120mm side window fan,1 120mm back side fan,1 200mm front fan and 1 200mm fan(H100 radiator on the top instead of 200mm included fan for liquid cooling your processor).

Power supply:-
Corsair 1200wAx

Is a standard psu which will give your system enough power to support its heavy configuration.

I will not be able to provide you the price link for the products.

Bligglenuber

Honorable
May 1, 2012

Hahah, no worries. Upgrading to a 680 was beyond my original budget plan although I've somehow let myself start this overhaul. Any suggestions regarding the psu/case/cooling though?

Bligglenuber

Honorable
May 1, 2012

Thanks, these both look excellent. Just to make sure, do you think the gainward would be kept cool enough with this case cooling then?

EDIT: From looking around for the cheapest offer it seems that the 4 x 120mm side window fans aren't natively included. Would you suggest I bought these too? If so any suggestions? (again :p)

Also, is there any point in shelling out for the corsair link commander? http://www.corsair.com/corsair-link/corsair-link-kits/corsair-link-cooling-kit.html

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
+1 to aviral's suggestion.
I was going to suggest nearly the same things :p

You'll want a case with some good airflow to keep your temps down, and also a lot of space for your upgrades, along with some good cable management to help with the airflow.

It's usually a good idea to use a modular power supply such as the AX1200 (also, from what I've seen, they have a good reputation too) so you don't have to deal with the extra mess of a non/half modular PSU due to unwanted cables since you only have to plug in the cables you really need rather than the PSU already having cables coming out of the power supply itself..I'm kicking myself now for not knowing what modular was when I bought my TX750M..Despite the fact my case is more than large enough, though, the cables are quite ugly at the bottom of my case and hiding the cables in-between places in my case doesn't help it look much better.

I would wait for some reviews on the link commander seeing as how it only just got recently released. Don't get me wrong, I love Corsair but like most people would, I get a bit skeptical when it comes to new releases.

Also: You should check out the Coolermaster HAF series, I've heard a lot of good things about those cases, personally I don't like the look of the 600T case myself, no offence to aviral of course. Each to their own :p

Good luck on your build :)

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
And also, a good CPU air cooler will do exactly (If not negligibly worse) just as well as a watercooled solution, while also being a cheaper solution. But it's completely up to you.

aviral

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

Yes,It will be cool because the side window fan will directly provide air to the graphics card and get exhaust from your top side and back side.Its best cooling for a chase.

I will give a nice idea of using 200mm fan which will left when you will be using H100.

My suggestion depends on you entirely
Use your 200mm fan on side window so you won't need to spend extra on it .The side fan will not allow 200mm fan to be placed on the same screw design.Just bolt two of the screws of 200mm fan on the side window and tie the two other holes of 200mm fan on the screw provided for it.But make sure to tie it properly.

If you don't like my above suggestion then I will say yes you should buy 4x120mm fan for your chase to give better cooling to your hardware.

It just depends on you. i would suggest you only if extra cash is left .

I am giving you the reasons why you should not invest in it:-

H100 fan speed will automatically be controlled by your motherboard.
Or
You can connect the H100 fan to the inbuilt controller.
Or
You can press button on your H100 to set the type of performance you want which will be give you three profile setting.

Now will you still think for buying corsair Link for extra.When you already have plenty of options available.

Bligglenuber

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Okays, I had a look at the Coolmaster HAF series using the suggested Corsair 600T as a basis.

I came across the HAF XM which happens to be £30 cheaper than the 600T - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-261-CM

Of note is the fact that you can solidly mount the 200mm fan that comes natively in the top on the side panel, something you can't do with the 600T.

Regarding the corsair link commander - I just wanted to be sure that it wasn't somehow more useful than it seemed.

Thanks again for the help.

aviral

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

Considering HAF is not all a bad idea because it is also the best seller chase.

ok.

ok.