CPU Fan Direction

drdave_14

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
I am doing an upgrade and ran into a small problem with my cpu cooling fan. The directions state to position it so that it blows air through the heatsink and out the other side. My thinking is that to do this, I should place the fan on the right hand side of the heatsink (near the memory slots) so that it blows air through the heatsink and out the back of the case (where I have 2 fans to blow the warm air out). The problem I'm having is my memory is so tall that the fan won't fit on that side of the heatsink.

Is it ok to position the fan on the other side (near the back of the case) and have it blowing air toward the front of the case? It seems to me that doing this will just cause more warm air to be blowing around inside my case.

In case my description isn't clear, here's a pic of how I have it set up.

http://i47.tinypic.com/9h7xb8.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Uther39

Distinguished

zK2C2.png

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Looking at a couple of pictures of the enermax tower coolers the clips look like they slope in and and grip the middle section of the cooler fins. Is it possible to actually slide the fan up a little?

The popular Coolermaster 212 Evo sometimes is a tight fit for the closest memory module and some people just slide the fan up. If it is a case of only half a centimetre or so I doubt it would be detrimental to the cooling performance.