New Build: Gaming-Audio Creation-Video Recording/Editing

keprofscritz

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: Immediate if possible, willing to push it back if necessary

Budget Range: $1500 - $1800 is the preferred range but I can push $3100 max Before Rebates
If possible I would like to be well under the max budget but will push to my max budget if the performance gains are worth it.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Audio Creation, Video Recording/Editing, Web Browsing, Movies

Parts Not Required:

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com, NCIX.com, Amazon.com

Parts Preferences: Nvidia - Intel - Mid-Full tower (enough room for a future Watercooling system) - Four (3 + 1) monitor setup

Overclocking: Yes, I would like to be able to overclock and run stable for improved performance.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, I would like a x2 Gfx card build but I can settle for a one card setup for immediate usage, the second can come at a later time.

Monitor Resolution: Currently running a 32" Vizio Tv @1920x1080, wanting to run a 3+1 setup: 3 monitors at base level with one monitor (current) above.

Additional Comments: Need OS software

I have some parts in mind and I will list them after I compile the list but I really would like to see what some of the more knowledgeable people would put together. Basically I am looking for the justification for the choices being made as I have a hard time scaling back my choices and tend to pick the latest 'n greatest, just because.

I had previously made a thread (a few weeks ago) but was unable to respond shortly after it's creation due to a RL issue, so I apologize to those that responded to that thread.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Definite "Audio creation". Are we talking editing audio for video, or are you going to be creating music?

What application will you be editing video with?

keprofscritz

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Using FL Studio 10 currently to create music (and edit video audio) at a very amateur level. It's just a fun hobby for me.
The video editing factor is for mostly recording/editing various game play, home movies and anything else I can. Again nothing professional, another hobby, but using CyberLink PowerDirector 10 to get my desired effect.

So far after many hours of going back and forth (I'm still undecided though) I've currently been working on putting together a Ivy Bridge build (over a SB/SB-E build) and this is what I've come up with so far.

i7 3770K - $375.86
Corsair H100 - Pricing is varying at the moment. ($99 - $114)
Intel BOXDZ77GA70K - $237.86
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB x2 (16GB total) - $115.98
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB SSD - $249.99 (when it comes back in stock)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB - $89.99
Corsair 850-Watt Power Supply - $175.99
Windows 7 - $99.99

Peripherals:
Corsair Vengeance K90 - $99.99

Still torn with Gfx cards (Case as well lol) and really no idea on how to proceed. Would I love a gtx690? Damn skippy. But worth it? If not then what?
The basic idea is that this PC will be a gaming PC with the ability to handle the aforementioned hobbies with ease.
Forgot to add that if it's feasible, an SLI setup would be preferred. Not necessarily needed immediately but capable of upgrading to it in the near future. As well as being spacious enough for an internal WC setup (but that's for another thread).

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
GTX 560 for your GPU, and buy an ASIO-capable audio interface for doing music if you don't already have one. (If you need me to go further into that, I can.)

keprofscritz

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
I have a Creative SB X-Fi sound card (about 5 years old) that is ASIO-capable and running ASIO4ALL v2. I do however wish to replace the sound card, any recommendations?
Also I'm going to upgrade my headset possibly with this PC purchase or soon after. I was thinking a Tritton PC510 HDA to do double duty as a gaming headset and for the audio creation. Thoughts?

The GTX 560? The TI 448 cuda version or just the base 560?

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
The base 560, especially if we're trying to budget in an audio interface.

That headset uses USB audio, which leaves you with still using ASIO4All (which i do use on my general workstation, just not on my music system.) The question on audio interfaces is usually centered on how many inputs/outputs do you need etc... I figure you're not planning on getting any hardware synthesizers etc so you'd probably be able to make do with a 2 in 2 out.

Also keep in mind a 'real audio interface' isn't going to be useable for game audio, they really are not meant for that.

keprofscritz

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

Correct good sir, I have no plans on (at this time or in the near future) of getting synthesizers or any additional hardware. I find that FL Studio 10 will have me entertained for quite awhile as I attempt to figure out what I'm doing.

Since my hope for this system is that it is primarily a gaming machine with the capabilities for Audio Creation/Video would having a 'real audio interface' be worthwhile?
I figure my usage for this system will probably be around:
70% Gaming
15% Audio Creation
10% Video Recording/Editing
2.5% Web Browsing
2.5% Movies

From what I gathered about the headset is that it uses a USB connection for power but uses analog connections to provide sound.
"Plug the USB Cable into a USB port on the PC.
Connect the four analog plugs to the four 5.1 audio jacks located on the back of the computer. " - Quoted from the .pdf manual

I do have quite a bit of leeway when it comes to maximum budget ($3100 max) but I would prefer not to push it to that extreme unless the performance gains were substantial enough to warrant it.

Don't think I've said this yet: Thanks for the assistance. I hope that with your input (and possibly others) that I will be able to achieve my desired build and begin working on the future upgrades/sidegrades.