anyone tried a slave flash with a digital camera?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
June 29, 2005 2:23:18 PM

has anyone tried a slave flash with a digital camera? I ordered one to
help boost the flash power of my pentax optio s5i.

thanks
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 2:23:19 PM

jeffrey wrote:
> has anyone tried a slave flash with a digital camera? I ordered one to
> help boost the flash power of my pentax optio s5i.
>
> thanks

I use a slave flash(s) fairly often, there is a problem that has to be
over come for most digital cameras, and that is the dreaded pre-flash
that most do. For me I got around this problem buy putting a small
flash on the hot shoe, the camera does not pre-flash when using the hot
shoe.

I don't use the slave for more power but rather to get better
lighting angles.

There are some slave flash units that will ignore the pre-flash.

Scott
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 2:23:20 PM

Scott W wrote:
> jeffrey wrote:
>> has anyone tried a slave flash with a digital camera? I ordered one
>> to help boost the flash power of my pentax optio s5i.
>>
>> thanks
>

> I use a slave flash(s) fairly often, there is a problem that has to
> be
> over come for most digital cameras, and that is the dreaded
> pre-flash
> that most do. For me I got around this problem buy putting a small
> flash on the hot shoe, the camera does not pre-flash when using the
> hot shoe.
>
> I don't use the slave for more power but rather to get better
> lighting angles.
>
> There are some slave flash units that will ignore the pre-flash.

I have a Vivitar Digi-something (200?) that learns the pre-flash in a
test mode. Unfortunately, it forgets if it goes into sleep mode
between flashes. Which it does, too often. Otherwise, it works pretty
good.

--
Frank ess
June 29, 2005 2:51:16 PM

http://www.photoprojects.net/sony.html
Gene

jeffrey wrote:

> has anyone tried a slave flash with a digital camera? I ordered one to
> help boost the flash power of my pentax optio s5i.
>
> thanks
June 29, 2005 3:12:08 PM

Frank ess wrote:
> Scott W wrote:
>
>> jeffrey wrote:
>>
>>> has anyone tried a slave flash with a digital camera? I ordered one
>>> to help boost the flash power of my pentax optio s5i.
>>>
>>> thanks
>>

>> I use a slave flash(s) fairly often, there is a problem that has to be
>> over come for most digital cameras, and that is the dreaded pre-flash
>> that most do. For me I got around this problem buy putting a small
>> flash on the hot shoe, the camera does not pre-flash when using the
>> hot shoe.
>>
>> I don't use the slave for more power but rather to get better
>> lighting angles.
>>
>> There are some slave flash units that will ignore the pre-flash.
>>

> I have a Vivitar Digi-something (200?) that learns the pre-flash in a
> test mode. Unfortunately, it forgets if it goes into sleep mode between
> flashes. Which it does, too often. Otherwise, it works pretty good.

the Vivitar Digi is the one i ordered. hope it works
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:53:51 PM

Scott W wrote:
> jeffrey wrote:
>
>>has anyone tried a slave flash with a digital camera? I ordered one to
>>help boost the flash power of my pentax optio s5i.
>>
>>thanks
>

> I use a slave flash(s) fairly often, there is a problem that has to be
> over come for most digital cameras, and that is the dreaded pre-flash
> that most do. For me I got around this problem buy putting a small
> flash on the hot shoe, the camera does not pre-flash when using the hot
> shoe.
>
> I don't use the slave for more power but rather to get better
> lighting angles.
>
> There are some slave flash units that will ignore the pre-flash.
>
> Scott

Hi,

The new Metz Mecablitz 28 CS-2 is a beauty. It automatically adjusts to
your camera, has a folding bracket for the tripod socket, has a good
range, and looks pretty. It measures your camera's preflash, and
"teaches" itself to ignore the preflash. It comes with wide angle and
telephoto adapter pieces.

Mort
!