Sign in with
Your question

Is it bad to hit my PC?

Last response: in Components
August 17, 2012 4:03:32 AM

I know I know this is porbably the stupidest question asked on Tomshardware, but I'm curious.

Just recently built a gaming system and I have a Corsair H60, and happen to get one of the models that has the annoying buzzing.

With a slightly forceful smack, barely enough to crush an egg, on top of my computer case, it stops the buzzing. It starts buzzing when I start up the PC, and I smack the top of my pc and the buzzing stops.

Could this damage my motherboard, or other components? I'm sure its not enough to crack the top of my case (Zalman Z9 Plus) But i was wondering if this could damage something on the inside.

More about : bad hit

August 17, 2012 5:45:24 AM

Hello.

It's perfectly fine. I frequently give my PC a bitch slap so that she knows her place. Even if she hasn't done anything wrong. I've found the most effective method to be a slap with the knuckle side of your hand instead of the palm side.
m
l
August 17, 2012 5:49:02 AM

Just dont knock it off your table or where ever you have it :D 
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 17, 2012 5:51:03 AM

In my experience, if you have to slap the computer to get it to stop buzzing then you probably have a flaky fan. I would suggest you try to find out which one is bad and try to get a new fan that doesn't have that problem. Trust me it will only get worse.
m
l
August 20, 2012 3:31:23 AM

I know for a fact it is my watercooler.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 20, 2012 3:39:30 AM

If your buzzing fan is a sleeve-bearing type, you can peel off the sticker, remove the small rubber plug, put 2-3 drops of engine oil in, turn it a bit to make the oil go down the shaft, put the plug back in, clean the surface and put the sticker back on. With a little luck, the fan will work good as if not better than new for a couple more years.
m
l
August 20, 2012 4:37:51 AM

InvalidError said:
If your buzzing fan is a sleeve-bearing type, you can peel off the sticker, remove the small rubber plug, put 2-3 drops of engine oil in, turn it a bit to make the oil go down the shaft, put the plug back in, clean the surface and put the sticker back on. With a little luck, the fan will work good as if not better than new for a couple more years.

I read this, and when I got my case, the stock fans always buzzed (So I never thought of this), but reading this I did it out of spite, and now that fans fixed.

Thanks xD
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 20, 2012 5:39:32 AM

austing said:
but reading this I did it out of spite, and now that fans fixed.

You're welcome.

Gotta love simple $0.01 fixes.
m
l
!