Customizing a Sager NP9270 - Help Needed

mattatomic108

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Hello,

I am new to this site and to computer-customizing in general, and I am looking to buy a new Sager NP9270 notebook as my graduation gift. My price limit is $3,100, and I will use this laptop in college for multi-tasking, homework and projects, GAMING, and various other applications. I chose this computer because the processor is very fast, the RAM is good, and I like the option to include multiple HDD's. Here is the system I have set up so far (and the link to the customization):

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_customed&update_id=274681

Display: 17.3" Full HD LED-Backlit Display with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1080)

Video & Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 675M GPU with 2GB GDDR5 Video Memory

CPU Processor: 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Processor ( 10MB L3 Cache, 3.60GHz / 3.80GHz in Turbo Mode, 4 Cores )

Thermal Compound: IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU [$35.00]

Operating System: Genuine MS Windows® 7 Professional 32/64-Bit Edition ( 64-Bit Preloaded ) [$60.00]

Memory: 32GB Quad Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 4 X 8GB [$365.00]

RAID Storage Options: Non-RAID Storage

Primary Hard Disk Drive: 120GB Intel 520 Series SATA3 Solid State Disk Drive [$140.00]

2nd Hard Disk Drive: 750GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Secondary Hard Disk Drive [$115.00]

Optical Drive Bay — Optical Drive or Hard Disk Drive in Optical Drive Bay with Caddy case 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software

Wireless Network Card: Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Module [$25.00]

Microsoft Office Microsoft Office 2010 Home & Student Edition [$139.00]

My questions are as follows: - What would be the best configuration for the multiple hard drives; SSD as the primary drive and SATA as the secondary, or something else?

- Is it worth it to have a hybrid drive for one of the two?

- Would using a RAID setup be a good idea?

- Any other tips or advice?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated, as this investment is one that is of great importance to me. Thank you for your time and advice =)

Inopiquez

Honorable
May 6, 2012
First and foremost, this laptop has been put on delay due to the motherboard being "unstable," whatever that means. There is currently no ETA for when it will be re-released, but people speculate that it will be at least 3 months.

As far as your questions go:
If you have the means, an SSD is a great improvement over HDDs.
If you choose to have a raid setup,
Then raid 0 is for performance over everything.
Raid 1 is for safety; use it if your work is critical and you want to always have
a safety net to protect your data.
And for raid 5, that is a compromise of the above, where you're 3 drives will perform better for writing data, would suffer from reading, but it will have a safety, where raid 0 doesnt.

While you're at it, check out this forum
http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo-reviews-owners-lounges/641100-official-sager-np9270-clevo-p270wm-owners-lounge-131.html#post8492367

nstiver

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
Sager makes a great product, but realize that the kind of gaming you can do on it will still not touch whatyou can do on a desktop. I did the same thing as you and bought a Sager gaming notebook for college. Considering that it cost me $2,300, I could have just built a nice desk top from scratch and bought a think pad for the work horse school computer. Still, as far as laptops go, they are king. Get it through a reseller, not Sager. You will save $$.

mattatomic108

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Thank you both. I would absolutely love to build a desktop from scratch, but it is an issue of whether or not I could actually fit it in my dorm room with the particular set up that it has. Now is this particular the same or similar to a Clevo P270WM?