Sign in with
Your question

HIS Radeon HD 6950 IceQ X Turbo 2Gb Jerking/Stuttering/FPS Drops

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 26, 2012 11:37:24 PM

I recently bought (Within the month) a new HIS 2Gb 6950 for my custom computer and I have been getting game issues. I get subtle screen jerking. In Crysis 2 it is occasional, in League of Legends it is semi-frequent, in Age of Empires 3 it occurs when I scroll the screen and in DIRT 3 it is pretty much constant making the game almost unplayable. It doesn't render the other games unplayable, but it is extremely annoying. Also in LOL it sometimes drops frames from 60 to 45 or 50-ish which is extremely noticeable. I bought the 6950 to upgrade from a 4870 1Gb but my 4870 didn't have these issues. I could play LOL perfectly completely maxed on the 4870 no stuttering or frame drops. The only game that doesn't seem to have issues is Modern Warfare 3. I hope that it is just the drivers in need of updating. I am currently using the latest drivers from the HIS site. (11.11) Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
All games played in 1920x1080.

Build - AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.2GHz
4Gb Crucial 1333MHz (2x2)
Corsair 650W TX Enthusiast PSU
HIS Radeon HD 6950 2Gb
Asus M4A88T-M Motherboard
750Gb WD HD
February 27, 2012 3:44:15 AM

OC your CPU? How about 12.1/12.2?
m
l
Related resources
February 27, 2012 4:24:20 PM

I have the same card and the same problem. I tried everything I could think of to fix it, including 12.1/12.2 drivers as mentioned above. [I personally have an i5-2500K (and 8GB RAM/850W PSU) so I don't think I really need to OC that to eliminate jerking; I can't speak to that being a potential issue for you though.] I put in my bf's GTX 560 Ti and even with it only being a 1GB card, and running at 99% GPU usage, Skyrim ran completely smooth (except for when I turned quickly, some FPS drop, but that was to be expected with the HD stuff I had eating up VRAM). I have a 4850 in my old rig and didn't see this problem in games with that card. Probably going to end up getting a new (Nvidia) card myself, but do keep us updated if you can remember.
m
l
February 27, 2012 4:45:13 PM

i get a kick outta people who always "threaten"going to nvidia....then you go on an nvidia forum and there threatening to go AMD......bye bye

try the latest 12.2 previews as russwood1488 suggested,also try it with the caps installed.Also check Asus's website for any updated bios's for any fixes.

also check the forums of the games you are having issues with and see if they have any fixes for there games.
m
l
February 27, 2012 4:50:41 PM

could be the monitor...
m
l
February 28, 2012 12:33:28 AM

I heard it could be my CPU, but I don't think so. If it was my CPU then wouldn't it have also done this with the 4870? I am going to go ahead and try the drivers Russwood suggested. They are downloading now and should finish in 4 minutes. Thanks for all the help. I also heard it could be that I need more RAM. If anyone has any knowledge on that I would appreciate it.
m
l
February 28, 2012 12:41:02 AM

xmaster408 said:
I heard it could be my CPU, but I don't think so. If it was my CPU then wouldn't it have also done this with the 4870? I am going to go ahead and try the drivers Russwood suggested. They are downloading now and should finish in 4 minutes. Thanks for all the help. I also heard it could be that I need more RAM. If anyone has any knowledge on that I would appreciate it.

More RAM wouldn't hurt... 8GB kits are pretty cheap. As low as $29...
m
l
February 29, 2012 8:37:46 PM

I tried the 12.2 drivers and nothing changed. (No better or worse.) I did notice today though that Splinter Cell Convictions ran really smoothly (flawlessly) when I first started my computer, but about 1 or 2 minutes in the jerking came back. Also I checked Dirt 3 when I first started my computer and it ran fine too. I also tried setting the power option in the CCC to 20% (I heard from a few forums that doing that would help), but saw no difference. I will upgrading to 16Gb of RAM within the month. I am doing work for my uncle and selling a couple of things. I should have about $100 and have decided on this RAM. I would like the 8x2 in case I get a mobo that supports 32Gb, but it is a little out of the range.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
March 9, 2012 9:27:39 PM

Alright just an update. I RMA'd my 6950 with like a day left to spare and got another card thinking it could just be a faulty card. I got my new card today like 30 minutes ago and there is no change. There are still the same issues even with a different card. So it isn't my card then what is the issue? This is making me mad ,but anyway I should be ordering my RAM soon. I will post and update after I get my RAM or fix this issue.
m
l
April 13, 2012 2:15:33 AM

I have the same problem with my 6770 His iceqX ,Ive updated my ram and done almost everything possible and im going crazy too , cant figure out what it is .. i have my old GEFORCE which has about 30% less performance than the 6770 but it runs way better. Ive bought nvidias all my life , changed to AMD for once and im going crazy.. big mistake, anyways let me know if you find the problem because i think we're in the same boat.
m
l
April 14, 2012 11:00:35 AM

I am currently using the same video card as yourself, but I thought my PSU was bottle necking my build but apparently not.

I have a 500w PSU and I thought it might be the problem, but you're running a 650w and you're experiencing the same problems.

Strange...
m
l
August 5, 2013 2:03:03 PM

there's no problem with your hardware. the cards you guys have is enough to run 2 instances of this game (if possible) and still there should not be any stuttering. the stuttering could be a streaming issue loading of assets which is simply due to bad coding, those programmers should test their damn games before releasing it for sale. i have an OC hd 7870 sapphire and fx6100 6 core cpu and 8GB ddr3 ram and get the same stutter. sometimes every second of the game. tried all possible setting the only time when there's no stutter is when all texture quality settings are set to low which means the cpu is fast enough to access that data and display on screen without delay. their programming should be optimized for pc and not count on tricks they use to take advantage of console hardware and architecture in order to cancel or minimize stutter in the console counterpart of these games. they keep that up and we'll see about the reputation they get. stop blaming your hardware. it is perfect and more than adequate. i am a programmer and trust me even bad coding can make a 2d dos game lag and load for hours on modern hardware, when it shouldn't.
m
l
!