Question about wired routers?

kazaamk

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
So do I just plug the router into my computer and i'll be able to get on the internet? My house has a modem and a wireless router but im buying my own wired router for my desktop

mitchflossin

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
That's pretty much how it works assuming your PC is configured for DHCP (most likely it is). Now if you're plugging your wired router into a wireless router, things get a bit trickier. Is that what you'll be doing?

kazaamk

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
What is DHCP? sorry, but i built my computer from scratch so i dont really know if its configured for that and would it just be easier to buy a wireless adapter and just use an ethernet cable?

mitchflossin

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
DHCP is what automatically assigns an IP address. If you haven't made any configuration changes (which sounds like you haven't) your computer is automatically receiving an IP address from the router. It would probably be easier just to purchase a wireless adapter, but it isn't difficult to connect the two routers together either. Why were you wanting to purchase an additional router by the way?

kazaamk

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
Im buying my own router because the router we have is my dad's work router, he unplugs it alot and takes it with him to work (i dont know why but he does) and then it disconnects the whole house from the internet besides his computer which is connected to the modem