Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawhide15

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I am in a fight with my frieind about this and it needs some resolving.

He wants to get an Nvidia GTX 580. Yet his mobo supports SLI so I told him to either get 2 570s because that would over power the 580 easily or get 2 560s which are still good. What do you think?

I'll believe that when I see it. That price performance would be hugely out of whack with current pricing. It would have to be part of very large price cuts across the board from both manufacturers.

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
IF something that major was heavily rumored and/or leaked/announced, I would think it would be in the Kepler thread. I check it every day and there's been no news lately. So I wouldn't take that as official or anything as of that point.

Agreed, a 570 SLI setup beats a 580 any day, but power usage. a 580 is gonna use less power. but the performance a 570 is the best u listed. I was gonna say Kepler when its out but as jyjjy said the pricing may be all off the chart and mixed, you may be paying 499 for a GTX 660 and 1500 for the dual GPU monster thats at the end of every series

A pair of GTX 560 Ti's will cost about $400 right now and will dominate any of the more expensive options listed so far (except a pair of GTX 570's in SLI). If you can wait, the GTX 670 Ti is supposed to come out some time in March and the picture should get a little more clear.

No, you should do some research and think a little bit. Look at current card prices and performance. A card better than the GTX 580 for $250 would be a radical shift in pricing on a level I don't recall ever seeing. AMD has already released their GTX 580 equivalent for the current generation and has priced it at $450. It wouldn't even make sense for Nvidia to throw away so much money considering they would easily outsell AMD at $150 more than you are suggesting. I don't believe Nvidia just suddenly turned really stupid. Any rumor you have read that fails such a basic believability test is not something you should be repeating.

Hallowhead

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
as for everyone talking about the new 600 series, i sure hope all your are right, but your just going about peoples thoughts and posts on them. I am not believing anything about them until i see a real release about them

I would expect the GTX 660 to sell for about $250. If it is faster than a GTX 580 as well though that would be nuts. Either the price or more likely the performance level must be wrong. If not it would have to be a part of some strategy by Nvidia to sacrifice short term profit in an attempt to drive AMD out of the market altogether.

Agree with jyjjy, if a $250 card comes in the performance of 580, it's going to be totally nuts. Great, but chance are too low. I think the rumor is misleading an comes from a nVidia fanboy :). If nVidia do so though, they will be killing themself because they are going to loss to much.

smeg4brainsuk

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Pretty sure the prices will be along the lines of their AMD counterparts, they wouldn't undercut them by a large amount as it will be seen as a huge loss to them.

Wait a couple of months and see what happens, if not yes the SLI GTX 570 is better than the 580.

Status
Not open for further replies.