$3000+ for Design/Gaming PC

Audiuser

Honorable
May 3, 2012
I'm a first time poster but have been a reader for sometime now and finally decided to join up, so if I'm breaking any rules please forgive me.

I'm looking to build a new PC for school/gaming , I'll be starting school for graphic design in the fall and will be using programs such as Photoshop/Indesign/Elements and lightroom and I'm also a PC gamer and have been forever. My first thought was to buy a Mac Pro since most designers use them but after reading around a bit it just doesn't seem worth it.

SO!

I have a few questions.

Should I build the PC and run Win7 and Mac on it or just say the hell with Mac and run only Win7 based adobe programs?

and

My budget is around $3000 ish , so far this is what I have in mind, if you guys see anything that can be changed or done better please let me know.

Windows 7 ultimate 64-Bit os
i7 3930K cpu
ASUS Sabertooth X79 mobo
32GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz ram
Nvidia 680 GTX gpu
OCZ-ZX 1250W Modular psu
OCZ 240GB SSD hd
Noctua NH-D14 cpu fan/heatsink
Samsung SH-222BB/RSBS Blue-Ray cd-drive
Creative Labs Recon3D Fatal1ty sound card
Corsair Obsidian 800D case without side window
+ cables and some other small stuff here and there.

I haven't built a PC in a few years because I had no need to so I'm not 100% up to date on whats good or bad these days.

I was looking into doing a custom liquid cooled build but I'm not going to be doing any overclocking so I don't really see the need.

So pretty much I'm looking for a stable PC to run several design programs at one time and be able to run all the new games at high fps without any problems, If you guys could let me know if I'm headed in the right direction and maybe correct some of the things I have listed (if needed) I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008

No, they don't. That hasn't been the case for years, since many of the design apps were Mac-only. Apple simple wants people to believe they are still the 'computer that designers use' meanwhile there are rumors floating about that Apple is going to kill the Mac Pro (their only workstation-grade system)

Only get the Falality card if you want it for game sound. Likewise the 680... if you have the money to spend on the 32 GB, sure... the machine is seriously lacking in storage compared to how much RAM you are putting in it