Sign in with
Your question

2 Monitors + TV Clone

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 27, 2012 2:55:32 AM

Hello,
I have a Geforce 4 8800, which has 2 DVI outs. I am looking to use two monitors routinely, and I considering buying a TV to clone one of the monitors to watch movies and television. What is the best way to do this? Do I want to use DVI splitter? would that even work?

Thank you for any help.
Sincerely,
Evan

More about : monitors clone

February 27, 2012 3:07:07 AM

Alternatively, I don't mind if I have to disable one of my monitors and extend my desktop to the TV, as when I do use the TV, I won't be using both my monitors. If that is an option that I can select using windows software or Nvidia software, I would be happy with that, as long as I don't have to plug or unplug cables.
m
l
February 28, 2012 11:21:30 AM

I have just been battling with the same issue for days now, and have just now got it working using a HDMI splitter. I have a GeForce GTX 460 with 2 x DVI out. Originally I was using just the one monitor and running a cable out to the TV room - so both were connected to their own DVI port using HDMI adapters and the graphics card allowed me to clone my 1920 x 1080p ASUS monitor desktop to the TV (which is 27'' 1920 x 1080i) AND also pump audio through the HDMI to the TV! I did have to switch the Win 7 default audio device each time I wanted to hear sound on the TV, though.

FYI... Before realising I could do it this way I had bought a HDMI splitter and tried to use it to clone the desktop externally, but they didn't play nice together AT ALL and having a decent picture on the TV meant my PC monitor would constantly be jittering vertically at a rapid pace. No good!

Anyway, the 2nd PC monitor (BenQ 24'' 1920 x 1080p) needed to be part of my setup in an extended desktop arrangement, but I couldn't get it working using a DVI splitter cable. The resolution kept jumping down to 1366 x 768 (which was NOT the 2nd monitor's native res!) on both the monitor and the TV. Finally I had the idea to run the second DVI port out to the HDMI splitter and then run the 2nd monitor and the TV off that in a clone arrangement. I can say this works fine, and works at full resolution without overscan or jitter. Unfortunately, the audio facility to the TV is lost as Windows no longer appears to recognise the TV in its available sound devices. Very interestingly, the Nvidia Control Panel is listing the BenQ and the Samsung TV as one device called 'BenQ Samsung'. I guess I will have to run analog sound to my TV for now, which is annoying as hell! Unless anyone has any further suggestions, that is?

I have a feeling that if all your devices are HDMI (my BenQ is DVI and VGA only) you might get away with using a cheap HDMI splitter cable instead of a much pricier box like I purchased. Further, if they are all DVI I think that would be even easier. The mismatching of resolutions and inputs is where the problems are created.

Hope this long, winding ramble helps rather than confuses!

Cuzza
m
l
Related resources
March 6, 2012 12:06:24 AM

Ah awesome. Thank you Cuzza. May I ask for a link for the HDMI splitter you used? It seems like the 8800 may react similarly to the GTX460 so I will try out that route first. I was considering buying a new video card that could support three monitors, but now it looks like I may not have to.

-Evan

CuzzaB said:
I have just been battling with the same issue for days now, and have just now got it working using a HDMI splitter. I have a GeForce GTX 460 with 2 x DVI out. Originally I was using just the one monitor and running a cable out to the TV room - so both were connected to their own DVI port using HDMI adapters and the graphics card allowed me to clone my 1920 x 1080p ASUS monitor desktop to the TV (which is 27'' 1920 x 1080i) AND also pump audio through the HDMI to the TV! I did have to switch the Win 7 default audio device each time I wanted to hear sound on the TV, though.

FYI... Before realising I could do it this way I had bought a HDMI splitter and tried to use it to clone the desktop externally, but they didn't play nice together AT ALL and having a decent picture on the TV meant my PC monitor would constantly be jittering vertically at a rapid pace. No good!

Anyway, the 2nd PC monitor (BenQ 24'' 1920 x 1080p) needed to be part of my setup in an extended desktop arrangement, but I couldn't get it working using a DVI splitter cable. The resolution kept jumping down to 1366 x 768 (which was NOT the 2nd monitor's native res!) on both the monitor and the TV. Finally I had the idea to run the second DVI port out to the HDMI splitter and then run the 2nd monitor and the TV off that in a clone arrangement. I can say this works fine, and works at full resolution without overscan or jitter. Unfortunately, the audio facility to the TV is lost as Windows no longer appears to recognise the TV in its available sound devices. Very interestingly, the Nvidia Control Panel is listing the BenQ and the Samsung TV as one device called 'BenQ Samsung'. I guess I will have to run analog sound to my TV for now, which is annoying as hell! Unless anyone has any further suggestions, that is?

I have a feeling that if all your devices are HDMI (my BenQ is DVI and VGA only) you might get away with using a cheap HDMI splitter cable instead of a much pricier box like I purchased. Further, if they are all DVI I think that would be even easier. The mismatching of resolutions and inputs is where the problems are created.

Hope this long, winding ramble helps rather than confuses!

Cuzza

m
l
March 9, 2012 4:36:43 AM

I am looking for this DVI to HDMI splitter and I am having trouble finding a legitimate one! Any suggestions?
m
l
!