Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Bottlenecked?

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 3, 2012 8:07:18 AM

I was just wondering since I haven't been getting as good of performance out of my AMD Radeon HD 6790 as my Nvidia GTS 250 was in the past if it might be because of a bottleneck. I might not have the settings setup correctly in the gpu catalyst since I am new to AMD but I get alot of pop in and the framerates aren't where they were previously these are my specs.

MSI 870A-G54 Motherboard (not the FX one)
4 GB of Corsair XMS3 DDR3 RAM 9-9-9-24
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w PSU
AMD Athlon II 635 Propus 2.9GHz
AMD Radeon HD 6790
Windows 7 Ultimate (dunno if that matters)

More about : bottlenecked

a b B Homebuilt system
May 3, 2012 8:12:55 AM

^overclock your cpu and you are fine.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 3, 2012 8:38:09 AM

did you COMPLETELY* remove your nvidia drivers before installing the ati drivers?


*boot into safe mode and use driver sweeper
http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html
Related resources
May 3, 2012 8:54:54 AM

If you overclock your processor then please buy an additional cooler for it.So that it does not make your system burning with flames.
May 3, 2012 9:03:02 AM

Ah ok I will do some overclocking either tonight or tomorrow. I have a Zalman CPU cooler so I should be good on that, and yes I removed the old drivers even reinstalled Windows. I dunno if I should mention that it was the dual fan model I dunno if that would have anything to do with it being that it needs to 6 pin PCI-E power cords as I heard some PSUs don't split that properly and you don't get enough power (dunno if that's true though). I also wanted to know how I can get my RAM to run at 1600 (and it is 1600 RAM) and if there is a need to it runs at like 1300 or something. I know I sound like a noob :-P
May 3, 2012 9:31:12 AM

sixstring88 said:
Ah ok I will do some overclocking either tonight or tomorrow. I have a Zalman CPU cooler so I should be good on that, and yes I removed the old drivers even reinstalled Windows. I dunno if I should mention that it was the dual fan model I dunno if that would have anything to do with it being that it needs to 6 pin PCI-E power cords as I heard some PSUs don't split that properly and you don't get enough power (dunno if that's true though). I also wanted to know how I can get my RAM to run at 1600 (and it is 1600 RAM) and if there is a need to it runs at like 1300 or something. I know I sound like a noob :-P

Your cpu cooler is fine.

Yes,its true that psu may not provide enough power .

Have you checked your motherboard RAM speed capability?
May 3, 2012 9:36:40 AM

It said 1600 (OC) so I assume I have to overclock?

Best solution

May 3, 2012 6:22:28 PM
Share

sixstring88 said:
It said 1600 (OC) so I assume I have to overclock?

Yes,you really need to spend a lot of time to make it overclocked to 1600MHz buy tweaking the voltage and clock multiplier.

Please be very careful while overclocking and refer to some guides or notes or forums for overclocking RAM.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 16, 2012 10:29:47 AM

no offence but i just witnessed the worst best answer selection in the history of toms hardware LOL!!
May 16, 2012 11:15:00 AM

yea I kinda accidently hit it lol
a b B Homebuilt system
May 16, 2012 1:30:49 PM

hellfire24 said:
no offence but i just witnessed the worst best answer selection in the history of toms hardware LOL!!


This whole thread is a collection of useless answers, none of which actually address the problem.

RAM: Will NOT make a noticeable difference being at 1600 rather than 1333MHz.
PSU: If the system isn't crashing, the PSU is NOT the problem. A 700w IS MORE THAN ENOUGH to run that whole build with 2 GPU's let alone 1.

What games specifically are you finding your GPU is lacking performance in?
May 17, 2012 12:44:17 AM

GTA IV, Just Cause 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Batman Arkham Asylum and games with lots of textures mostly. Lower fps, I get alot of pop-in and the games will lag every now and again where the didn't with my GTS 250. Most Valve games are ok though.
May 17, 2012 12:42:10 PM

sixstring88 said:
GTA IV, Just Cause 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Batman Arkham Asylum and games with lots of textures mostly. Lower fps, I get alot of pop-in and the games will lag every now and again where the didn't with my GTS 250. Most Valve games are ok though.

No offence to anyone.

The games which you listed are really very rich in texture and therefore you are getting a lower fps.Fps depends on the processing power as well as on graphic card power.The reason of getting lower fps is just simply lacking the processing power which can be only achieved by overclocking the processor or reducing down the setting to the fps which you want.

Giving you a general idea with the games:-
When my system runs at 2.8Ghz I get 25fps to 35fps and when I overclock it to 3.33GHz a bost in fps is gained around 5 to 10 fps that means 30fps to 45fps approximately with 3D system on. :) 
!