CPU Temperature

Not sure if this is the correct place.

I got AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE overclocked to 4ghz from 3.2ghz. I used to have stock heatsink which kept it idle 50-55C. I recently bought CoolerMaster Hyper Evo 212 hoping it would drop the temperatures
by a margin, but now it's idle 50C and with prime95 + some minor tasks like Skype/Steam/CoreTemp goes over 70C.

Is this normal or my heatsink is faulty? And temperatures aren't any lower even if core clock is on 3.2ghz.
5 answers Last reply
More about temperature
  1. do you have case fans installed
  2. did you use the supplied thermal paste? if not reinstall cpu cooler with a small dot of thermal paste then re-secure cooler. less paste is better then too much as well.
  3. correon said:
    do you have case fans installed

Yes one 92mm noiseblocker fan.

cbrunnem said:
    did you use the supplied thermal paste? if not reinstall cpu cooler with a small dot of thermal paste then re-secure cooler. less paste is better then too much as well.

I didn't use supplied thermal paste, bought Arctic Cooler MX-4 tube, and I did the pea size drop thing.

What troubles me is from reading in forums people get 30° C with same heatsink and mine just seems a bit too high. And people in forums say max you can let processor go is 62° C, but some of my friends tell me it's fine if it even goes above 70° C and even 80.
  4. befizzled said:
    Yes one 92mm noiseblocker fan.

I didn't use supplied thermal paste, bought Arctic Cooler MX-4 tube, and I did the pea size drop thing.

What troubles me is from reading in forums people get 30° C with same heatsink and mine just seems a bit too high. And people in forums say max you can let processor go is 62° C, but some of my friends tell me it's fine if it even goes above 70° C and even 80.

do not listen to your friends. your friends are under educated and plain wrong. they would be correct if we where talking about intel cpus but we are not. 63*c is the max temp for your cpu.

you have it installed wrong though, make sure you have ample pressure on the cpu with the bracket.
  5. cbrunnem said:
    do not listen to your friends. your friends are under educated and plain wrong. they would be correct if we where talking about intel cpus but we are not. 63*c is the max temp for your cpu.

you have it installed wrong though, make sure you have ample pressure on the cpu with the bracket.

Can't be that, it's firmly against the processor so that screws don't have any room to go deeper.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Heatsinks Temperature