Sign in with
Your question

Chassis fan not detected by system

Last response: in Systems
May 3, 2012 8:45:41 AM

motherboard applications on my pc which monitor the temp and speed and even the bios dont detect my chassis fan... though it running perfectly..
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 11:59:24 AM

Are the chasis fans hooked up to the power supply or the motherboard? If they're hooked up to the power supply, the motherboard has no way of knowing any chasis fans exist. This is not a problem as long as your CPU fan is working.
May 3, 2012 12:30:14 PM

should I change it or what ? its running perfectly though..
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 12:40:15 PM

No I wouldn't. The only fan that the motherboard needs to monitor is the CPU fan.
May 3, 2012 12:41:47 PM

What nek said. I realized only yesterday that I still have an open slot for a chassis fan on the motherboard. Bios just doesn't see it and the speed is unregulated. I didn't bother swapping anything out.
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 12:44:12 PM

Well you can regulate the speed with a fan speed controller. I have an NZXT Phantom, really nice case with a 5-way fan controller built in. But its not necessary, its a luxury item. Without the regulation of the motherboard, the fans will run at full speed all the time, its not a cause for concern.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 12:47:09 PM

Your mobo should have chassis 1 and 2 connectors that you can connect your chassis fans. Have a look and see where did you connect them.
May 3, 2012 1:56:00 PM

nekulturny said:
Well you can regulate the speed with a fan speed controller. I have an NZXT Phantom, really nice case with a 5-way fan controller built in. But its not necessary, its a luxury item. Without the regulation of the motherboard, the fans will run at full speed all the time, its not a cause for concern.

okay... well thank you. your knowledge has always been helpful to me ... :p 
May 3, 2012 1:58:49 PM

yes excellent answers that will help, ONCE I GET MINE WORKING, please see my thread below this one, thanks
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 2:17:35 PM

You're welcome divj.

Killakiwi, I'm here to help but my time is strictly on a volunteer basis, generally trying to get my attention by hijacking somebody else's thread is a not a great way to get my attention.
May 3, 2012 2:42:16 PM

killakiwi said:
yes excellent answers that will help, ONCE I GET MINE WORKING, please see my thread below this one, thanks

tomshardware doesnt allow hijacking a thread... you will surely get the answers fr your problem soon... patience and the right language is the key here...
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
a c 478 V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 4:37:28 PM

are the fans 3 pins or 4 pins??
http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/Motherboard_%28CPU%...
on a three pin fan or mb the third pin is a signal pin that a fan is on the connector. it when you use the forth pin that the pwm for the fans so that they can spin up or down. if there cheap fans and have three pin connector by two wires. (red and black) they just have power and no yellow signal wire.
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 4:39:10 PM

They're neither, they're 4 pin molex connectors into the power supply. Don't confuse the boy :) 
May 3, 2012 4:47:01 PM

lol ! I called my engineer to change the connection to mobo... its done... thanks ya ll !!
!