Xbox DVD Player Clicking and Clacking Noise?

I have a new Xbox (March 2005 mfg. date) whose DVD player seems to be a
little noisy making clicking and clacking sounds when the head moves
around. Is this normal for some of the DVD drives or should I do something
about it while still in warranty? If it is normal I sure wish the maker
(or MS) had thought to use quieter drive technology.

Thanks.

NoPlaceLike@Home.invalid wrote:
> I have a new Xbox (March 2005 mfg. date) whose DVD player seems to be a
> little noisy making clicking and clacking sounds when the head moves
> around. Is this normal for some of the DVD drives or should I do something
> about it while still in warranty? If it is normal I sure wish the maker
> (or MS) had thought to use quieter drive technology.
>
> Thanks.

I would watch it while it has warranty. If you notice slower load times
you may want to send it in for repair. If you get the dirty disk error,
send it in pronto! My drive (albeit and older one than yours) started
making noise when the laser went dead because it had trouble reading.
Drives make strange noises when they try to adjust to read parts of the
disc that can't read at full speed.

<NoPlaceLike@Home.invalid> wrote in message
>I have a new Xbox (March 2005 mfg. date) whose DVD player seems to be a
> little noisy making clicking and clacking sounds when the head moves
> around. Is this normal for some of the DVD drives or should I do
> something
> about it while still in warranty? If it is normal I sure wish the maker
> (or MS) had thought to use quieter drive technology.
>
> Thanks

Eh, my launch Xbox made alot of fan noise when I used it as a DVD player,
but I never heard anything you describe. To be safe, you should see if
something can be done while its under warranty.