Boot problem

Hey I recently built a computer from scratch aside from the hard drive pretty much the specs are:

Mobo : gigabyte intel z68
CPU: intel i5 2500k
GPU : ati sapphire 7870
PSU : 650w
Ram : Gskill 8gb 1600

I had a 320 GB hard drive I was going to use from an old build I had awhile back from a computer about 2~ years ago since has been out dated so I didn't even bother upgrading it just went from scratch aside from the hard drive. I had built a similar computer for a friend of mine about 4 months ago all went fine new hard drive though motherboard and GPU changed a bit for personal preference.

ANYWAY on to my problem I started up fine the first time mind you this computer vista 32 bit and I was planning to use a windows 7 upgrade 64 bit obviously to get away from that OS and upgrade to 64 bit; before I even got to the account selection screen the computer crashed and when I power on it only powers on for about 2-4 seconds fans etc then shuts off. I have yet to get past that I rechecked my plugs made sure I had all of my stuff wired correctly took out the GPU to see if it was that, switched RAM slots. After that I decided maybe it was a CPU problem or maybe the connectors to the CPU on the mobo were bent anything really at this point. I connected it back up but in the process I forgot to put the power back into the hard drive so I couldn't boot off that and when that happened I had the screen that said "Cannot boot from disk insert blah blah and press enter".

With that said what do you guys think it is I have a pretty good idea that it had something to do with the fact that I did not uninstall my old motherboard drivers/GPU it slipped my mind I should have clean installed. Do you think I killed the hard drive or would a hard drive even prevent a computer from powering up to at all aside from the 2 seconds initial fans turning on. Let me know what you guys think the problem is I have an SSD coming in on Saturday I will try to clean install on that I currently have no extra Hard drives to test this theory.
1 answer Last reply
More about boot problem
  1. If you not power up HDD how can BIOS detect it to boot up but when you unpluged HDD power is your pc start normally or its gonna shutdown.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Computer Hard Drives Systems