Solved

What Radeon HD 7950/7970 should i get?

Hi guys,

I've been thinking to upgrade to either a HD 7950 or 7970 for my gig. There many branches out there: Asus, MSI, Sapphire, XFX, Gigabyte,...etc, some of them have already OCed to a higher clock rate. Which one should i get?

Do you guy think i should go all the way to the top with a single 7970 now or get a 7950 then get an another one in 3-4 month to do the cross fire setup?

I live in the US and NewEgg or Amazon is my preference store.

Thank you and have a nice day.
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what radeon 7950 7970
  1. I say go all the way and get a 7970, it will last you a long time and when you start to want more grab another one down the track.
  2. Buy a 7970 now.
  3. for single 1080p setup,sibgle 7950 is enough.if you want to go higher in future than 7970.it will last you long.add another in crossfire in future and you have a killer gpu setup.
  4. Best answer
    I will just get 7970 now and crossfire it much later.

    Get this

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150585

    Or

    The only After market cooler 7970 is this, you can get it:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125413

    You can however wait for TFIII or maybe IceQ.

    It also depends on your budget.
  5. People like to spend other people's money foolishly. For 1080p a single HD7950 will be great for a long time but personally I wouldn't recommend it either. They are both well past the point where the money you spend on a better card makes any sense compared to the performance. For example you can get a GTX 560 Ti 448 core for $290. The HD7950 is 15% faster at 1080p while costing nearly 60% more.
  6. That is true. However, buying a 448 core version is kinda not smart either. They are a limited run, there wont be any availibility soon cept thru places like ebay and what not. The 500 series is a year and a half old or so. And an OCed 7950 comes close to 7970 stock performance. Id go with the 7950 or 7970. I am biased yes, I have a 7970, but it is well worth it. Adding another today.
  7. vrumor said:
    That is true. However, buying a 448 core version is kinda not smart either. They are a limited run, there wont be any availibility soon cept thru places like ebay and what not. The 500 series is a year and a half old or so. And an OCed 7950 comes close to 7970 stock performance. Id go with the 7950 or 7970. I am biased yes, I have a 7970, but it is well worth it. Adding another today.

    So spending gobs more money for similar performance is the smarter move because you may have to get a second card used later for SLI? Seriously, do you all have that much more money that you need and think everyone else does as well?
  8. Whether you get a HD 7950/70 it won't make much difference. HD 7950 performs like a GTX 580, the HD 7970 is faster than this by 9-10%, you'll feel that only in demanding games.

    If you have money you could buy 2 HD 6950s/70s for the maximum performance.
  9. jyjjy said:
    So spending gobs more money for similar performance is the smarter move because you may have to get a second card used later for SLI? Seriously, do you all have that much more money that you need and think everyone else does as well?


    Well as a personal choice I certainly would never buy a used card from ebay or craigslist. He asked what to buy between the 2, not an Nvidia card that is already dated. Keep up.
  10. vrumor said:
    Well as a personal choice I certainly would never buy a used card from ebay or craigslist. He asked what to buy between the 2, not an Nvidia card that is already dated. Keep up.

    Keep up? Could you be more condescending? I obviously understand the question asked. I directly addressed it in my first post. Perhaps you should "keep up." The two cards asked about are simply terrible values for the money by any reasonable standard. The specific card I used as a comparison was just to illustrate such. Fixating on it then dismissing what I have to say because you question how long that one card will be on the market if another is wanted for SLI when you personally would never buy a used card is missing the point entirely.
  11. Alright. Dont want to hijack the thread. Get a 7970. Value isnt always the best route. If ya got it, spend it and enjoy the 7970. OCs very nicely to 1125/1575 with no voltage increase.
  12. final answer(suggested by most)get a 7970!
  13. Leon Hart said:
    Hi guys,

    I've been thinking to upgrade to either a HD 7950 or 7970 for my gig. There many branches out there: Asus, MSI, Sapphire, XFX, Gigabyte,...etc, some of them have already OCed to a higher clock rate. Which one should i get?

    Do you guy think i should go all the way to the top with a single 7970 now or get a 7950 then get an another one in 3-4 month to do the cross fire setup?

    I live in the US and NewEgg or Amazon is my preference store.

    Thank you and have a nice day.


    If you can wait, just wait a little more.
    Nvidia kepler cards will be out next month if I'm not mistaken. With that you can buy the kepler card if they prove worth, or buy the AMD cards that probably will have a lower price.

    EDIT: I'm my opinion it's a win-win situation, besides the longer time to upgrade.
  14. Hi guys, thank you for your input. Really appreciate it. I will just go for the HD 7970 for the best performance, maybe put into a new one in the future. Thanks once again.
  15. Best answer selected by Leon Hart.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards HD Radeon Graphics Product