computermick

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Hi everyone, I'm just about to order the gear for my new workstation- a general mix of graphics (photoshop), modelling (sketchup), some Autocad and lots of MS office. Will probably play the odd game, but this is not a gaming computer. Could you have a look through the list below and see if you can spot any incompatibilities or improvements please? Particularly the choice of RAM. This setup basically maxes out my budget.

thanks

- Mick

ASUS P9X79 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 3930K
Corsair Hydro Series H60 CPU Cooler
G.Skill F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3
Intel 520 Series 240GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST1000DM003
Lite-On IHAS324 24x DVDRW
EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB
Corsair AX850 Gold Power Supply
Corsair Obsidian 550D Case
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64bit with SP1 OEM
ASUS VE278Q 27in Widescreen LED Monitor

Solution
If its not a gaming computer you should not be using a gaming graphics card . Use a quadro or firepro instead .
Same with the gaming case . The noise will be distracting [for most people ]

The power supply is overkill . A 650 watt psu would be overkill, but can be justified .

Where is your back up? External?

And the H60 is not a good cooler . Air can do better
If its not a gaming computer you should not be using a gaming graphics card . Use a quadro or firepro instead .
Same with the gaming case . The noise will be distracting [for most people ]

The power supply is overkill . A 650 watt psu would be overkill, but can be justified .

Where is your back up? External?

And the H60 is not a good cooler . Air can do better

Solution

computermick

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
OK guys,

Cooling: so the H60 isn't a favorite then? So is the H100 heaps better or is just OK? With air, I was mainly concerned about fan noise? Any good suggestions for air cooler suitable for this build?

My thinking with the 850AX was that I've heard that power supplies start to lose their capacity/efficiency over time, so thought I'd err on the safe side, and also leave some room to power an additional card if needed.

Backup is networked. Good point though, not often thought about.

I actually picked the 550D case as I thought it would be a quiet case - isn't this right? I definitely want a quiet case, even thought it won't be next to others.

Outlander - I'm particularly interested in your comment about the gaming card. I've been reading heaps about the performance of quadro vs the gaming equivalents, and I just can't find anything that definitely says they are worth it. Do you have experience with both types of cards? I'd really like to get some more details here.

thanks

- Mick