A mixed bag of questions.

Tcshad

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Hey guys, backstory, I came here and asked for advice for a budget build, I have bought:

Thermaltake Commander MS-I Snow Edition Case + a Coolermaster Sickleflow 120mm fan for the front of the case,

Corsair TX650 V2 PSU,

Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard,

Intel i5-2500k unlocked Processor,

8GB (2x4GB) Low Profile Corsair Vengeance 1600 Ram

500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue HDD

Sony 24x DVD drive

I was on a pretty tight budget, and now I'm looking at possible upgrades (not replacements, I don't really want to replace any of the parts I own, as I bought them less than a week ago, and I'm still on a budget, just slightly extended to what it was before)

So what I was wondering was;
1: Will this case be able to support any Corsair Hydro series (H80 or H100?) water cooling? If not, will it be possible via case modding?
2: Will my Motherboard be able to clock to say, 4.5GHz with said water cooling?
3: Will my Power Supply be enough to run all of the above, plus a HD 7850 GPU and water cooling (with overclocked processor)?

You can OC up to 4.5 ghz on air I believe. Water cooling may be a bit excessive, also yes your PSU will handle all that and a 7850. Save money by getting air cooling and add it to your GPU budget.

Tcshad

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
My bedroom (where the PC is) is small, therefore it gets quite warm (UK standard, so probably 25degrees C) in here really easily, so I was thinking maybe Water Cooling would be better so I don't burn out the processor, but what would you suggest, a Noctua ND-H14 or a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo with a push pull system?
And if I do buy air cooling, the extra budget may be spent on either a small SSD or a Blu-Ray drive (I have Blu-Rays and I've sold my Playstation so I have no Blu-Ray player anymore aha)

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

1) H80, yes, it has the same mounting holes as a 120mm fan does (mount this to the rear fan slot on the case). H100, modding would be required so it could fit into the top of the case. Even then I think it would be very cramped and wouldn't recommend it. Full tower case would probably be better suited for something like this with mesh on the top of the case for enough space for multiple 120-140mm fans.

2) Yes easily, 4.5GHz isn't really any effort at all for the i5-2500k. Almost any aftermarket cooler of reasonable quality will keep this cool enough.

3) Without a doubt. 500w PSU would have been plenty to run the original build + 7850 + watercooling, let alone a 650w unit. Infact, i forget the actual figures, but im fairly sure you could Crossfire a pair of 7850's on a 650w PSU :)

Personally I believe water-cooling is majorly over-rated, unless your installing a proper "custom" loop. These Corsair and Antec "all-in-one" units are just a tad "gimmicky".

Hyper 212+/EVO is a great budget choice. Ultimately, the CPU cooler is much like a case, just buy something you like the look of :) they all do the same job, and there's often never more than a few degrees difference in temperatures :) find something you like, google some reviews and benchmarks of its performance, unless is slated, just buy it because you like it :D too many people worry and faff about over 1-2 degree's difference when ultimately, it makes no difference. Unless your i5-2500k is rocketing up over 85 degree's its of no real concern :)

EDIT: Just noticed your comment about an SSD. If the options come down to Hyper 212+ and an SSD vs a £100 cooler, certainly go for the 212+/SSD route. You'll find much greater benefit to it.

-----

Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation: http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-radeon-hd-7850-and-7870-review/7

Radeon HD 7850 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit and 650 Watt if you go with two cards in Crossfire mode.

Tcshad

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Thanks! I'll probably get the Hyper 212 Evo and an extra fan for it with a nice graphics card, thanks :)

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Make sure you let me know how you get on with attaching the fans to the Hyper EVO :p, if it's anything like the 212+ - its an absolute BALL ACHE! Lol :) "just clip on they say"....well that's certainly not how it went down when I helped a friend build. Took 3 of us about 45mins haha!!!