Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Computer
  • Power
  • Prebuilt Systems
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 27, 2012 6:18:46 AM

About a day after it came in, I began experience issues with games freezing and squares popping up on the screen. I managed to printscreen while it was happening on the desktop and it looks something like this: http://s1074.photobucket.com/albums/w405/Codacious09/?a...

I've done some digging and it could either be overheating, faulty card, or a power issue. My PSU is 850W so I have my doubts about the power. Anyone care to help find out what it could be?

More about : prebuilt computer 7970

February 27, 2012 6:37:24 AM

Check ur temps if ur below 90 , then it shouldn't overheating
other than that try uninstalling and re installing the display driver .
is it happening only in a specific game or all of them ?
m
l
February 27, 2012 6:45:01 AM

It's happening with all of them randomly. Sometimes it'll be completely fine for hours while other times it will happen in 5 minutes of starting something up. I'm still pretty scrubby when it comes to cards. How do I check a cards temperature?
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
February 27, 2012 7:11:36 AM

Moofis09 said:
It's happening with all of them randomly. Sometimes it'll be completely fine for hours while other times it will happen in 5 minutes of starting something up. I'm still pretty scrubby when it comes to cards. How do I check a cards temperature?

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

What PSU do you have?, some prebuilt computers skimp on that.
m
l
February 27, 2012 7:21:28 AM

Solytech 850W ATX PSU from what it looks and from what I've read it seems like a piece of crap lol.
m
l
Anonymous
February 27, 2012 7:41:26 AM

Moofis09 said:
Solytech 850W ATX PSU from what it looks and from what I've read it seems like a piece of crap lol.

This is why i hate rebuilt computers with a vengeance they always put crap psu's in them even with the fastest gpu on the planet right now.

Have you tried monitoring your temperature, you can run a game in windowed mode. You could also run furmark to stress your gpu. If you click on the test burnin- you can monitor your temperatures.

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
m
l
February 27, 2012 7:57:59 AM

Never buy prebuilts! Can get all the high end components you want, but they will ALWAYS sell you a *** PSU if you let them. Replace the PSU. Take it back and tell them a SolyTech POS isnt good enough. Bastards.
m
l
February 27, 2012 10:06:08 AM

Moofis09 said:
About a day after it came in, I began experience issues with games freezing and squares popping up on the screen. I managed to printscreen while it was happening on the desktop and it looks something like this: http://s1074.photobucket.com/albums/w405/Codacious09/?a...

I've done some digging and it could either be overheating, faulty card, or a power issue. My PSU is 850W so I have my doubts about the power. Anyone care to help find out what it could be?

Who did you get the computer from?
m
l
February 27, 2012 11:13:22 AM

Ibuypower
m
l
February 27, 2012 11:22:12 AM

Moofis09 said:
Ibuypower

Nothing wrong with iBuyPower or their machines. The psu is questionable but they wouldn't use if it wasn't good enough. I'd suggest calling them. If you don't want to then (read below) -

What are the complete computer specs? (Cpu, board, ram, etc...)
m
l
February 27, 2012 11:48:08 AM

I don't think it's Ibuypowers fault, but a messed up video card is a messed up card. It happens. As far as calling Ibuypower, I've already done that and they already offered to have it RMA'd for a new one. I would just like to exhaust every other possible option before resulting to that. So far the issue just seems to be a bad card because I put in my old GT 430 and it's perfectly stable.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K

RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 Corsair RAM

Harddrive: 1TB 7200RPM
m
l
February 27, 2012 12:09:46 PM

Moofis09 said:
I don't think it's Ibuypowers fault, but a messed up video card is a messed up card. It happens. As far as calling Ibuypower, I've already done that and they already offered to have it RMA'd for a new one. I would just like to exhaust every other possible option before resulting to that. So far the issue just seems to be a bad card because I put in my old GT 430 and it's perfectly stable.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K

RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 Corsair RAM

Harddrive: 1TB 7200RPM

Good troubleshooting... I was going to suggest running the i7's IGP via the Z68 but no need since you have another card to test with. And if it is stable then the answer is "almost" conclusive. One other thing I can think of is testing the PSU just to be sure... I posted a link below for OCCT; the program offers a test for PSU, but if this isn't your thing then you can always test with a digital multimeter.

http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download
m
l
February 27, 2012 12:44:35 PM

I'd really like to know the 12V rail rating of that psu. One would think that it's good enough, but who knows. A GT 430 requires 22A, a 7970 requires 40A. This is assuming that my quick "Googling" results are accurate. In wattage the 7970 is approximately 249 watts to 172 watts for the 430 under load. Crappy power supplies are scary.
m
l
February 27, 2012 12:44:40 PM

Id be more apt to think its the PSU and not the card.
m
l
February 27, 2012 12:57:05 PM

Say it is the PSU, if I were to switch it out for another one, which would you recommend? I do eventually plan on Crossfiring 2 7970's but if this PSU is complete garbage, then I'll replace it anyways.

Edit: Come to think of it, if it were the PSU, wouldn't the card bug out like that every time it went under load? I failed to elaborate that the squares come at complete random. I would have gaming sessions where it wouldn't happen at all and then other times where it would happen within five minutes.
m
l
February 27, 2012 1:05:43 PM

Moofis09 said:
Edit: Come to think of it, if it were the PSU, wouldn't the card bug out like that every time it went under load? I failed to elaborate that the squares come at complete random. I would have gaming sessions where it wouldn't happen at all and then other times where it would happen within five minutes.

thats a good point... Memory related problems can also be completely random, especially as you have so much of ram. Download memtest86+, create bootcd and run it for several passes. just to make sure it isn't the ram
http://www.memtest.org/
m
l
February 27, 2012 1:10:46 PM

Moofis09 said:
Say it is the PSU, if I were to switch it out for another one, which would you recommend? I do eventually plan on Crossfiring 2 7970's but if this PSU is complete garbage, then I'll replace it anyways.

to quote you
Quote:
I began experience issues with games freezing and squares popping up on the screen.

This indicates an unstable card, period.... Not PSU. What usually indicates PSU is random reboots and/or shutdowns. Not enough power = system won't run and it doesn't get any simpler than that. Also, I hardly think that a company like iBuyPower would put a PSU in a machine that wasn't capable of running it in the configuration it was assembled.

As for a new PSU? It's dependant on what you're willing to spend... Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, XFX, NZXT and Thermaltake (ToughPower) are great.

I have a Corsair HX1050 and it powers my system with 2 6990's with not a problem. If I were to get another I'd go with the AX1200 or XFX ProSeries 1250. [:russwood1488:8] [:russwood1488:5]
m
l
February 27, 2012 1:40:04 PM

RussK1 said:
to quote you
Quote:
I began experience issues with games freezing and squares popping up on the screen.

Also, I hardly think that a company like iBuyPower would put a PSU in a machine that wasn't capable of running it in the configuration it was assembled.
[:russwood1488:8] [:russwood1488:5]

Well for the money they shouldn't use the "brand" Solytech either. Those of us with pc building experience wouldn't do that, they shouldn't either. Even if it's just a cheap version of a brand name, "cheap" is still key.

But despite that, russwood says it's the gpu & it does look like that's likely.
m
l
February 27, 2012 1:48:16 PM

Star72 said:
Well for the money they shouldn't use the "brand" Solytech either. Those of us with pc building experience wouldn't do that, they shouldn't either. Even if it's just a cheap version of a brand name, "cheap" is still key.

But despite that, russwood says it's the gpu & it does look like that's likely.

In a capitalistic society, companies cut every possible corner. Unfortunate but this is the way it is... the PSU is poo-poo but in iBuyPower's eye's it's "just enough". Would it run a CF 7970 setup? Probably not and I wouldn't take the chance and get something beastly and expensive but that's me.

Here's Jonnyguru's reviews starting from most recent~

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

I like their reviews and to me the most credible esp. when they rip the PSU's apart and look at construction. I look no further...
m
l
February 27, 2012 2:17:20 PM

Just to throw it out there, that is a typicall example of artifacting from a busted GPU. Happens when you overclock too much on a good card, or just at stock on a bad card.

A bad PSU is unlikely to cause artifacting unless it is really, really underpowered. Usually you just end up with lower performance.
m
l
February 27, 2012 2:47:55 PM

RussK1 said:
In a capitalistic society, companies cut every possible corner. Unfortunate but this is the way it is... the PSU is poo-poo but in iBuyPower's eye's it's "just enough". Would it run a CF 7970 setup? Probably not and I wouldn't take the chance and get something beastly and expensive but that's me.

I agree completely. Typically the psu is not what someone buying a pre-built rig is looking at & those companies know it. I hope the OP gets a new card replacement & all is well. If not, it could be time to look into other components such as psu or memory. Good luck to the OP.
m
l
March 5, 2012 1:15:44 AM

Hi,

I have the same problem, the same squares on monitor.

I have a 700W PSU. But i think is a good PSU, this one: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/FSP-Aurum-Gold-700-Power-Supply-Review/1228

My pc is:

Sapphire Radeon HD 7970
Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2Ghz Box Socket 2011
Asus Rampage IV Formula Placa Base
G.Skill RipjawsZ DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 16GB

I think is the Graphic card but i read here its maibe the PSU.

I must buy another PSU or use the warranty on my 7970?.
m
l
March 5, 2012 11:08:46 AM

Should remove all ATI drivers with driver sweeper and then reinstall the newest 12.2s for the 7970. Im runnign them in xfire, and working beautifully. It COULD be your PSU but if its new or newer, id look elsewhere first.
m
l
March 6, 2012 7:32:06 PM

Hello there.....i too have the same problem....my config is:
CPU: FX 8120
COOLING: CORSAIR H80
RAM: 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE 1600 CS9
MB: CROSSHAIR V (BIOS 1102)
GPU: XFX RADEON 7970 3GB
PSU: COOLER MASTER SILENT PRO 850M

my 7970 doesnt even boot with vga led red on the MB....while my radeon 4870 works just fine....if this PSU is not good enough....i dont know what is?????
m
l
!