Group Policy effects on All Users

I've just installed Windows XP with Service Pack 2, and microsoft Office 2003
Professional Edition. I have tried to pu in effect a group policy for a user
to restrict their access to control panel, settings, etc, however it has
somehow applied this policy to ALL the accounts INCLUDING the system
administrator.

The Computer in question is part of a workgroup (not a domain) and i am
unsure of how to fix this problem. Any help with either removing the Group
Policy altogether, or removing it from the Administrator Account would be
most appreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about group policy effects users

    Hi,

    Group Policy can applied to users and computers. In a workgroup, if you
    apply to Computer Configuration, it would be applicable for all users and
    if you apply for User Configuration, it would be applicable to the user
    from whose login you are edititng the Group Policy. For Example: If you
    login as User Account "Katumi" and make changes to Group Policy for User
    Configuration, it would apply the settings to "Katumi" only, but if you
    make changes to "Computer Configuration" it would be applicable for all
    user accounts including "Katumi". Please proceed as follows to change the
    settings.

    a. Create a new Administrator account
    ================================
    1. Login in as Administrator
    2.Click Start, and then click Run.
    3. In the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK:
    "control userpasswords2" (without double quotes)
    4. Create a new user account with Administrator previleges and log off.

    b. Change the GP settings
    ======================
    1. Logon as the NEW Administrator account
    2. Click Start -> Run
    7. Type "gpedit.msc"
    8. In the GP Editor, drill down and expand the following for Local Computer
    Policy:
    \Computer Configuration
    \Administrative Templates
    9. On the right hand pane, open each policy that you have changed
    previously.
    10. For each policy properties dialog box, under settings, select the radio
    button to "Not Configured"
    11. Clik "Ok" to accept changes
    12. Close the Editor once all the changes are made
    13. Click Start, and then click Run.
    14. In the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK:
    "gpupdate.exe" (without double quotes) to update the Group
    Policy
    15. Log off and login as the original admin account.

    Hope this helps ...... :)

    Ashok (Ashokan Achari)

    The Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    --------------------
    - - From: =?Utf-8?B?S2F0dW1p?= <Katumi@discussions.microsoft.com>
    - - Subject: Group Policy effects on All Users
    - - Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 04:01:02 -0800
    - - Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize
    - -
    - - I've just installed Windows XP with Service Pack 2, and microsoft
    Office 2003
    - - Professional Edition. I have tried to pu in effect a group policy for a
    user
    - - to restrict their access to control panel, settings, etc, however it
    has
    - - somehow applied this policy to ALL the accounts INCLUDING the system
    - - administrator.
    - -
    - - The Computer in question is part of a workgroup (not a domain) and i am
    - - unsure of how to fix this problem. Any help with either removing the
    Group
    - - Policy altogether, or removing it from the Administrator Account would
    be
    - - most appreciated.
    - -

    User group policy applies to all users on a non domain computer.

    http://www.uscricket.com

    Katumi wrote:

    > I've just installed Windows XP with Service Pack 2, and microsoft Office 2003
    > Professional Edition. I have tried to pu in effect a group policy for a user
    > to restrict their access to control panel, settings, etc, however it has
    > somehow applied this policy to ALL the accounts INCLUDING the system
    > administrator.
    >
    > The Computer in question is part of a workgroup (not a domain) and i am
    > unsure of how to fix this problem. Any help with either removing the Group
    > Policy altogether, or removing it from the Administrator Account would be
    > most appreciated.
    Hi

    Applies to WinXP Pro as well:

    How to apply local policies to all users except administrators in a
    workgroup setting in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=293655

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Configuration Policy Customization Windows XP