syversol

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Hello,

Don't want to sound stupid, but would like some reassurance. Trying to save a friend's XP Dell Latitude D610 laptop that is consistently booting the blue screen of death showing "Windows shut down, Technical information Stop : 0x00000024 ( 0x00190203,0x82232268,0xC0000102, 0x00000000"

Was able (through help from others on the internet) to find an XP iso file to burn a recovery disc and switch the BIOS to boot from the disc. Then I went into the Recovery Console and typed CHKDSK C: /r

Is there anything else I need to do or should I just "walk away" from the laptop until tomorrow? It's only a 40gb drive, I think, but is probably pretty messy with some bad sectors I would suspect. In the past hour it has:
CHKDSK is checking the volume...
CHKDSK is performing additional checking or recovery...
55% completed

Does this mean it's on it's first phase or fourth? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lynn

Solution
Let it run, and if it's not done after letting it go overnight, then there's something wrong with the drive and it's probably beyond hope for consumer level tools.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Yea, checkdsk may take awhile. If it doesn't change for a couple hours though, then just restart.

Well the blue screen may not specifically mean the data on the drive is toast.
It can mean just one Windows driver file got corrupted or 1 bad sector on the hard drive and that is causing the issue.
You can pull off and save whatever data your friend needs while the disk is accessible in case things get worse.

If you are able to mark any bad sectors, reinstall of the OS may work; but you may feel more secure getting a new harddrive rather then dealing with an disk that has failed you once already.

syversol

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
thanks