Opinions on new build?

Build Template:

Approximate Purchase Date: asap
Budget Range: <=£1000
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, programming, watching movies, media editing
Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, case, monitor, data drive (500GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200rpm), power supply (Corsair modular 650w).
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Scan.co.uk / other uk
Parts Preferences: See selected parts below
Overclocking: Yes
SLI or Crossfire: Maybe
Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200
Additional Comments: Quiet and cheap as possible

So far I have selected:

CPU: Core i5 3570K 178.98 (170.58 OEM)
Mobo: Asus Maximums V Gene 150.92
Mem: 2x 4GB Corsair Vengance 16000 48.66
Cooler: Antec Kuhler H20 620 45.84
GFX: MSI Twin Frozr 680GTX 2GB 479.62
OS Drv: Samsung 830 128GB 134.54

Was hoping for people's opinion on the build; is it any good? Could I reduce costs in anyway without suffering performance? Could I improve performance without increasing costs? Parts i'm least sure about are the SSD and graphics card.

Cheers!
3 answers Last reply
More about opinions build
  1. well since you plan on ocing you could drop the ivy bridge version of the i5 and just get the 2500k that will save you $30 then the additional money you save on the mobo and you could get a nice ssd for a boot drive

the reason i say this is because the only real difference between ivy bridge and sandy bridge is a 10% stock clock speed increase which is irrelevant if the user is a over clocker
  2. Fair point, would have to change the mobo also in that case.

However, I usually tend to run stock until I find my system struggling with games, then OC. The benefits of this are probably marginal but it should increase the component's life expectancy, use less power for a while and produce less noise while I don't need the extra power.

You say I could get a "nice ssd for a boot drive", is the one I selected not any good then? If so could you suggest some alternatives?

Cheers for the advice.
  3. okay and actually IB runs hotter than SB when overclocked go figure but in terms of a SSD maybe a Chronos?
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems