Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$1100 GAMING RIG BUILD FOR D3 AND FUTURE GAMES FINALIZATION

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 3, 2012 3:25:57 PM

Hey guys, I've finalized my component list for my $1000-$1100 Gaming Rig build for D3 and upcoming games. Before purchasing (probably within the next couple of days), I'd like to post my list here for "approval" since most of you guys on this forum will be more knowledgeable than me. This is my first build. Top uses will be for gaming, video/movie watching and general internet usage. I don't know too much about OC'ing so I'm still on the fence for that and is why I chose the 3570k. Any suggestions about the quality and compatibility of components would be greatly appreciated. Here goes:
(*Oh and I live in Canada so I would like to make my purchases at memory express if possible)

CPU, MOBO, RAM Bundle ($409.99)
-Core™ i5-3570K Processor
-Asus P8Z77-V LE Motherboard
-Patriot Gamer 2 Series, Division 2 Edition DDR3 8GB Kit
Core™ i5-3570K Processor w/ Asus P8Z77-V LE Motherboard & Patriot Gamer 2 Series, Division 2 Edition DDR3 8GB Kit

GPU ($269.99)
Sapphire
Radeon HD 7850 OC 2GB PCI-E w/ DVI, HDMI, Dual DP
Sapphire
Radeon HD 7850 OC 2GB PCI-E w/ DVI, HDMI, Dual DP


SSD ($119.99 after rebate)
OCZ
Vertex 3 SATA III 2.5in Solid State Drive, 120GB
OCZ
Vertex 3 SATA III 2.5in Solid State Drive, 120GB


HD ($99.99)
Seagate
1TB Barracuda SATA III w/ 64MB Cache
Seagate
1TB Barracuda SATA III w/ 64MB Cache


Any suggestions on a PSU and Case for this build?
Optical drive will probably be a cheap asus

OPEN TO ALL ADVICE!!!! THANKS!
May 3, 2012 4:01:15 PM

Thanks a lot! Will that case fit all the components? I've read on forums that people like to use full size cases for better air flow which is needed for the sapphire 7850 OC. Should I be getting a full sized case? That PSU looks awesome though.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 3, 2012 4:05:43 PM

That case should have no problems what so ever fitting all your components.

If you want more flash, here's another popular choice that has very good cable management and cooling:

Cooler Master Storm Scout - 89.99
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 3, 2012 4:47:18 PM

sumoboy said:
Thanks a lot! Will that case fit all the components? I've read on forums that people like to use full size cases for better air flow which is needed for the sapphire 7850 OC. Should I be getting a full sized case? That PSU looks awesome though.

Just so you know, that Asus board you have up there isn't meant for a second card in the future. It runs dual cards @ x4.
m
0
l
a c 278 4 Gaming
May 3, 2012 5:04:16 PM

I'd ditch the SSD -OCZ isn't the most reliable name when it comes to SSDs and put that money in upgrading your GPU to a 7870 or 7950. I don't recommend SSDs on any sub-$1100 build as I would put that money in the GPU - that's where you'll notice the biggest difference on any build.

I'll definitely second the PC Power & Cooling Silencer series but 600W might be cutting it close if you plan on going with the aforementioned GPUs - you might want to get the MKII 750W version.

Here's what I would recommend on an $1100 build:

Case: Fractal Design Arc MIDI - $99.99
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 750W - $104.99 ($20.00 MIR)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H - $159.99
CPU: 3.4GHz Intel Core i5-3570K - $249.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99
RAM: 8GB Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 1333MHz 1.5V - $42.99
HD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - $109.99
Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - $17.99
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 - $349.99

Total: $1,180.91 - $20.00 MIR = $1,160.91

A little bit over budget but you get a far better GPU, you lose the SSD but the Vertex 3 isn't that great - you're better waiting and getting an M4 but the case I picked out makes adding and removing drives incredibly easy.
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 5:42:06 PM

^ amazing build, but he is wanting to buy them from memory express, and if he uses newegg.ca, it will be far more expensive.

I do agree that he could drop the SSD if the OP wanted too, but If the OP wants to keep one, I'd reccommend a better one like this:

Mushkin Chronos 120GB Solid State Drive - 119.99
m
0
l
a c 278 4 Gaming
May 3, 2012 5:59:19 PM

Pezcore27 said:
^ amazing build, but he is wanting to buy them from memory express, and if he uses newegg.ca, it will be far more expensive.

I do agree that he could drop the SSD if the OP wanted too, but If the OP wants to keep one, I'd reccommend a better one like this:

Mushkin Chronos 120GB Solid State Drive - 119.99


Yeah it's still a Sandforce drive though - if the SSD were still needed I'd go with a Marvell-based drive - M4, Plextor, Samsung, and so on.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 3, 2012 6:00:32 PM

Pezcore27 said:
^ amazing build, but he is wanting to buy them from memory express, and if he uses newegg.ca, it will be far more expensive.

I do agree that he could drop the SSD if the OP wanted too, but If the OP wants to keep one, I'd reccommend a better one like this:

Mushkin Chronos 120GB Solid State Drive - 119.99

Both Memory express and newegg canada are complete hose jobs and then some.

These two retailers down below both offer free ground shipping and are affiliated. They both ship out of the same warehouse in Richmond, BC.


http://www.directcanada.com/

http://www.bestdirect.ca/
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 6:05:02 PM

did you see what could NCIX could offer?
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 6:13:44 PM

Why_Me said:
Both Memory express and newegg canada are complete hose jobs and then some.

These two retailers down below both offer free ground shipping and are affiliated. They both ship out of the same warehouse in Richmond, BC.


http://www.directcanada.com/

http://www.bestdirect.ca/

DONT SHOOT!!! :??:  I'm just going off where the OP said they wanted to order parts from :( 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 3, 2012 8:10:31 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Yeah it's still a Sandforce drive though - if the SSD were still needed I'd go with a Marvell-based drive - M4, Plextor, Samsung, and so on.

I would keep the Mushkin. I have it and it has had zero probs.
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 10:25:56 PM

First of all, thanks for all the great input guys, I truly appreciate it. I actually really like that build list you posted, g-unit. The reason I chose to include an SSD is because I've heard so many good things about how fast it is from everyone who has bought one. Just curious as to the reason why you don't suggest an SSD in a sub $1100 build. I'm open to removing it if it really is a smarter choice. And is there really that much of a difference between the 7850 oc and the 7870? If so, is it enough to justify the $100 difference? And to Why_me, the reason i chose memory express is because it is the only option with a physical store within driving distance of me. I've heard of people not getting their MIR's in time because of shipping from directcanada and such. Would you recommend I go with them anyway? I agree that memory express isn't the best place to go for parts but its the closest. Thank you guys again.
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 10:37:25 PM

and it seems that newegg.ca prices are on average $10-15 more than newegg.com..
m
0
l
a c 278 4 Gaming
May 3, 2012 10:55:32 PM

sumoboy said:
and it seems that newegg.ca prices are on average $10-15 more than newegg.com..


That's mainly due to currency conversion and the fact that the Canadian dollar is worth slightly more than the US dollar.
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 11:20:38 PM

I can't imaging doing a new system build and then sticking a regular hard disk in there. What a waste to bottleneck your system that way! Highly recommend you stick with a SSD, it is a night and day difference. If you are looking for something 'safer' than OCZ or sandforce drives the Crucial M4's or any Intel drive is a good choice.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 3, 2012 11:30:19 PM

ph1sh55 said:
I can't imaging doing a new system build and then sticking a regular hard disk in there. What a waste to bottleneck your system that way! Highly recommend you stick with a SSD, it is a night and day difference. If you are looking for something 'safer' than OCZ or sandforce drives the Crucial M4's or any Intel drive is a good choice.

On a $1,100 gaming build I can easily see leaving out an SSD seeing how FPS > loading up Windows a few seconds faster. The SSD can be purchased later on. SSD's are going down in price every month and in another month or two you will see more than a few 120GB SSD's under $100. Anything smaller than a 120GB SSD is a total waste of $$$.

You have $1,100 to work with so what do you do? Add a SSD and then purchase a crap video card for a gaming build?
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 11:49:21 PM

Why_Me said:
On a $1,100 gaming build I can easily see leaving out an SSD seeing how FPS > loading up Windows a few seconds faster. The SSD can be purchased later on. SSD's are going down in price every month and in another month or two you will see more than a few 120GB SSD's under $100. Anything smaller than a 120GB SSD is a total waste of $$$.

You have $1,100 to work with so what do you do? Add a SSD and then purchase a crap video card for a gaming build?


I didn't know a $270 7850 is a crap video card...wish I had crap!

A SSD for speeding up everything your OS does, and loading games faster?...yeah I would want that rather than spending my time sitting at loading screens.
He gets to $898 with a SSD, and you can get a decent case and powersupply for 100 combined...just watch slickdeals.

So $998 for all of that. Unless he's also trying to fit a monitor and peripherals into that budget he already has room to go crazier on a vid card if he wishes.
m
0
l
May 4, 2012 3:38:48 AM

You all have very valid points. However, I think I will be highly pleased with the 7850. I'm upgrading from my laptop which is currently using a HD 5470.. This new computer will be so much better in every way that I probably won't worry too much about the difference between the 7850 and 7870. I will definitely consider upgrading if it is within budget, perhaps I will spot a sale. And ph1sh55, the budget does not account for peripherals which is why I would like to ask you guys, what would be a solid monitor for hd gaming and viewing videos and movies? At first I was considering a multi display but i'm not so sure now. In your opinion, is it better to have 1 large, high quality screen or 2 mediocre ones?
m
0
l
a c 278 4 Gaming
May 4, 2012 5:48:10 PM

ph1sh55 said:
I didn't know a $270 7850 is a crap video card...wish I had crap!

A SSD for speeding up everything your OS does, and loading games faster?...yeah I would want that rather than spending my time sitting at loading screens.
He gets to $898 with a SSD, and you can get a decent case and powersupply for 100 combined...just watch slickdeals.

So $998 for all of that. Unless he's also trying to fit a monitor and peripherals into that budget he already has room to go crazier on a vid card if he wishes.


I would definitely not say that the 7850 is a crap card as it gets GTX 570 numbers for $100 less, check out these benchmarks: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-revi...

The 7870 is definitely better but the 7850 is far from being a crap card. I wouldn't compromise on the GPU to get an SSD though, I definitely agree with Why_Me there.

An SSD is definitely a good idea but I don't recommend them unless you have some sort of additional storage available - you want to run all your games and everything else off a second 500 - 2TB hard drive but otherwise you trade speed for space and that's never a good thing, which is why mechanical HDs are typically recommended on sub-$1200 builds.
m
0
l
!