GTX580 gaming length

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
How long will a gtx 580 last ?

since rumor has it that next gen xbox is using a HD 6670
a gtx 580 is roughly 10X more powerfull then that and current consoles last 5 to 6 years

people say like 2 to 3 years but i think it may last way longer then that

maybe soons dx12 is out is wen i should upgrade again?

First off the GTX 580 is nowhere near 10x faster than the HD6670. It is somewhere between 3-4x faster. Second the GTX 580 isn't something worth buying at this point. If you really need a card of that caliber the HD7950 is the better choice in a lot of ways for the same money. Or you can spend much less money on a card like the GTX 560 Ti 448 core and get nearly the same performance. Or you can wait for the new Nvidia cards within the next few months if you aren't in a hurry.
As for longevity it is rare for a video card to be viable for much longer than 3 years. Consoles use tricks like upscaling to HD resolutions, no AA, settings that are either low(or below low) for PC and 30 fps if you are lucky in order to play current games.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
The GTX 580 will last as far you use lower settings as needed. Simple that way.

You can't go for a direct comparation between console and PC video cards since in consoles you have a whole infrastructure focused in producing games to a dedicated hardware, and in PCs you need to make the game to run in multiple platforms. It's much harder, and much less efficient.
In PC we run multiple softwares, antivirus, etc, all of them consuming resources, from both memory and CPU.

That's why in PC you need to have a better hardware.

perkynips

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Agreed on the 7950, at the moment the 7950 is outperforming the GTX 580, and is in alot of ways cheaper especially if you consider $ per performance.

It is still a young card and will only get better as years go by with new driver updates and the like.

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
i already have gtx 580 way before 7000 came out.
and i was useing a 9500GT before i upgraded and i was playing games fine sometimes better then xbox 360 that lasted ages.
So i just felt if my 9500 was doing fine for that long then how can a 580 not last a good 4 years?
What i think people have understanding is people got feeling I MUST UPGRADE coz something new and fancy came out but i personaly think people dont truely understand how long these gpus last.

and i do understand that mutli platform issues that games devs develope on 1 specific type of hardware but my point is vailed in eyes to most people my pc would be look apon as not game worthy in 2 years but i think if it looks better then next gen consoles then its gaming worthy until next dx12 comes out. Im just finding it hard to get that people really think this . a Low detail game on PC in theroy should still look better then console on todays games.

or even in future games if consoles last 5 to 6 years or so then a 580 should last that long dont need max everything just long it looks better and what i can rember from xbox 720 thread that xbox runs at 30 fps on most games and 60fps on games like CoD but CoD is visually crap compair BF3 on console at 720P roughly not all games some are 600p i been told . So if next xbox is a 6670 i find hard belive run at 1080p with 60fps on all games like some people think i be thinking 30fps and all games will have low settings maybe High textures with like low AA just like current gen consoles just with DX11 testilation have you seen wat bf3 looks like on Low detail it still looks great compair most FPS games.

And some people like to have the newest. I personally dont like to lower my settings in graphics. I like the eye candy, I like looking at the same map or zone and see something new everytime. But again thats a personal thing. Some people are happy to have the frames instead of the candy.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
if you mentioned the console class graphics,, yes, gtx580 will last veryyy veryyyyy looooooong. infact, todays console graphics handled very easy with 8800gt class video cards, and that was 6 years agoo. but, if gtx580 has to live in pc-class graphics,, maybe not too loong. infact, by todays game like metro, this card can only produce 30fps at 1080p. so.. ?? it think in dx11 full implementation.. todays cards are still not enough... (until we have 2x or 3x gtx580 in single card).