CF gigabyte 7970 in Raven 03?

smeg4brainsuk

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I was after a RV03 but found out an important issue when it comes to cooling.

Custom coolers will not work well in the Raven series because the heat source side (touching the GPU) ends up being located higher than the other end.

This is a direct quote btw, you can check it on their site, just select the Q & A tab

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=242&area=en

My best advice is contact them directly like i did and they will give you an honest answer. I have a ASUS Direct CUII GTX570 and they said it would not be a good idea to have that GPU in that case so i presume it will be the same with the GIGABYTE.

Stock cooling cards are the best ones to use with any of the Raven series.

As for CPU Cooling the Noctura NH-D14 is simply the best air cooling around atm. Its big and heavy but will fit in that case np.

I found that everything was considerably cooler going from the Raven case (I believe its RV03, but might be RV02) from a Artic 102. The way the Raven cases work, they feed a lot more direct air to the cards than normal cases.

Joakimfox

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

So its a good case? and its not a h2o/corsair beter in this case?

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I have the 6950 with same exact fan design in a rv03 right now... and though they recommend designs which channel the air out the back slots (like reference cards do) my card always stays very cool in the case

Joakimfox

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

It Will be a asrock gen3 extreme3 (Or you know a other in the same price?)
And now i begin to look at a frectal design R3 och Arc, are they good?

The main thing is there more space between the cards, the cooler they run. I run my cards with 3 slots between PCIe slots (2 free slots of air flow) and they don't have different temps as a result. If you have 1 free slot between the cards for air flow, there will be a small increase in heat, and if there is no free slots between them, the top card gets very hot.

This is assuming 2 slot cards. I don't think it's a good idea to use one of those 3 slot cards in a crossfire setup.