Using a Dell Insprion i570 stock heatsink with Phenom II 4X 3.4Ghz

DeuceisMoose

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron i570 desktop that I am upgrading to use as a 1st time gaming computer. I ordered an AMD Phenom II quad core processor, as the Dell motherboard is an AM3 socket. Upon removing the stock heatsink, my friend and I found that the Phenom II's heatsink will not work as the motherboard does not have the appropriate connectors. My question is that would the stock heatsink/fan from Dell be enough to handle the Phenom II?

The original Processor is an Athlon X2 240 2.9Ghz.

But... More than likely it will not work.

Reason:

The old CPU had a Thermal Design Power of 65Watts, which is what that HSF is designed to cool.

The Phenom II X4's range from 95-104Watts, and the X6's go up from there. More than likely if you did use the HSF from the X2 it would run fine for standard computing, but as soon as you put a heavy load on the CPU you would start having crashes, most commonly your computer just completely shutting down instantly in order to avoid overheating.

That's good because you can't anyway with that system.

My question is, is a 965 even supported? If it a normal 965BE, it's a 125W or 140W TDP CPU and I HIGHLY doubt that that motherboard will support it.

DeuceisMoose

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012

How so? Could you post the links where you read this please?

Mainly, this one. http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19458966/20161817.aspx

But there's a post buried in this one that says it will work, as well. http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19440867.aspx

The problem, from other posts that I saw, is exactly what you're experiencing: Finding a HSF to work with the 965. I never saw any answers to that, unfortunately.

My best guess would be something like a Cooler Master Hyper TX3. It uses the AMD clip in style, but I still don't know if it would work.

DeuceisMoose

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Problem is that there is no AMD clip on the board, and the mounting points for the HSF don't seem to be in the proper orientation for one, so it renders the one i got with the Phenom useless

DeuceisMoose

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Well, I decided to wait on the processor until I can get a better motherboard. On another note, the video card I purchased does not seem to be working. It's a Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 and for some reason any monitor we try won't recognize the computer. We've had it plugged into the motherboard and the video card using the VGA ports, DVI port on the card, a VGA to DVI adapter in the DVI port on the card as well as HDMI on both the motherboard and card. Even after disabling the onboard graphics, the monitors won't recognize the new card. We have also gone into the BIOS to disable the onboard, but there was no option, so we ended up doing so in the device manager in safe mode.