Sign in with
Your question

Is this PSU sufficient enough?

Last response: in Components
August 17, 2012 7:34:28 PM

Hello guys.I'm really wondering if my PSU will be able to handle this PC:
CPU: i5-3570k - Stock
RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws X 2x4GB 1600MHz @ Stock
GPU:HD 6850 Sapphire Vapor-X Edition(with 2x6-pin connectors,not one) --> 1GB GDDR5
Mobo: AsRock Z77 Extreme4
No SSD
HDD: 1 - Hitachi 500GB 7200rpm
1 CD/DVD Drive/Rewritable
1 case 60 or 80mm fan
The PSU - Cooler Master 460W Elite.
I know it isn't good at all but i just finished gathering all my parts and i really,really want to run the PC but i don't want to damage any of the parts.In November,December,i'll upgrade to Seasonic S620W - not the modular one,the standard but i really don't want to keep my parts next to me not being able to install them,it's really,really frusturating.Right now,i run on this PSU this configuration:
HD 6850 Sapphire Vapor-X ...THE SAME GPU
4GB RAM Kingston 800Mhz
Gigabyte something motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo@3.2GHz overclock from 2.66GHz @ stock.
My current system has no problems with this PSU since i have ran few tests for max power comsumption and it was all fine,with Prime95 i think.
I think it'll probably work because my current CPU has 65W TDP and my new one has 77W,that's why i love Ivy Bridge :D 
What do you guys think? Also,i'll use the same case,little bit smaller than regular Mid.Tower but my mobo is 12"x8.6" so it'll fit for sure,since my GPU is 9.6" :D  Probably one of the largest HD 6850 out there,and most power hungry i guess.It was TDP of 127W.Thanks in advance guys for your time :) 

More about : psu sufficient

a b ) Power supply
August 17, 2012 7:46:34 PM

Your current PSU will do fine, however, I would rather not take the risk of it failing and taking out other components...

If you haven't gotten your PSU yet, I would HIGHLY recommend this PSU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's enough for your rig and it's much, much more reliable.

Also in the future, please don't cheap out on your PSU with the mindset of "I'll upgrade to a better one in the future" :(  From experience that's what has caused me some major headaches.
August 17, 2012 7:49:47 PM

mocchan said:
Your current PSU will do fine, however, I would rather not take the risk of it failing and taking out other components...

If you haven't gotten your PSU yet, I would HIGHLY recommend this PSU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's enough for your rig and it's much, much more reliable.

Also in the future, please don't cheap out on your PSU with the mindset of "I'll upgrade to a better one in the future" :(  From experience that's what has caused me some major headaches.

Well unfortunately i already have this PSU,since my old one died November last year.Then,i didn't know much about PSU's and i really screwed myself buying this CM 460W.If i'll buy new PSU,i'll just go for something kinda overkill so in 3 years,my next PC upgrade,i'll be able to use it .
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 17, 2012 7:52:32 PM

Ahhh I see :)  Well now you know exactly what to look for! ;) 

August 17, 2012 7:56:09 PM

mocchan said:
Ahhh I see :)  Well now you know exactly what to look for! ;) 

Well will i put my parts on big risk to run them with my current PSU till november/december? I really don't want to risk them burning or whatever.I prefer not running my rig for few months rather than running it for few months and then lose it.
a b ) Power supply
August 17, 2012 7:59:04 PM

Yes I think you'll be fine for the time being. But I would recommend you to stay away from overclocking your CPU or GPU until you get an upgrade :) 

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-El...

According to this site, your PSU is just a rebranded Elite 400w PSU and can only deliver around ~420w max. So I would definitely recommend not pushing it too much.
August 17, 2012 8:09:18 PM

mocchan said:
Yes I think you'll be fine for the time being. But I would recommend you to stay away from overclocking your CPU or GPU until you get an upgrade :) 

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-El...

According to this site, your PSU is just a rebranded Elite 400w PSU and can only deliver around ~420w max. So I would definitely recommend not pushing it too much.

Yea i just read this.I'm felling so awful for trusting my computer adviced back in 2011 when i bought it.I told him i'll do upgrade and he said it'll all be fine .Now i wish i did gave few bucks more for something better.Probably for 5-10dollars more(i'm not exactly sure how much because i live in Bulgaria) i was going to have the corsair cx430,which as you said,was going to be enought for my system.Well as everybody says,man learns from his mistakes.Too bad this mistake will cost my 100dollars.
I won't overclock anything at all before i get my new PSU.Once i get the Seasonic,ohh man i'll unleash the power of overclocking.A friend of mine use the same board as me and he said me that it has an option that automaticly overclock to 4.7 and it's working flawlessly.
a b ) Power supply
August 17, 2012 8:12:43 PM

Yeah everyone makes mistakes at some point in time :)  I'm just glad you learned from it rather than making even more mistakes! (no offense intended, my brother has done this numerous times...)

But yes, I bet you're looking forward to overclocking that beast of a CPU ;) 
!