How to set up new build with SSD, new hard drive and old hard drive

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
How do I set up a new build with a new SSD, a new hard drive and my old hard drive.

I assume I start the system with just the SSD, load Windows 7 HP 64 bit on the SSD and then what? How do I label or specify which hard drive for the system to access first, second and then third? The SSD will be for mostly apps.

I also don't want for the old hard drive to start loading crap into the system. How do I prevent that? I do have photos on there that I would like to transfer to the new HD.

Can I eventually use the old hard drive as a back up HD or should I just use it as an external (in a external enclosure). The old HD has Windows XP on it.

I don't have much data on any of my hard drives. Thanks for all of your help and suggestions and knowledge.

The new build is this:

Intel i5 2500K
AS Rock Z68 Pro 3 Mobo
Antec B550 PS
16 gig G Skill 1600 DDR3 Ram
PNY Quadro NVS 440 video card. It's a workstation card for financial trading. I run 4 monitors.
Crucial M4 64 GB SSD
WD Caviar Black 640 GB Hard drive
My old WD 2500KS 250 GB HD
Asus 24 X DVD burner
Cooler Master HAF 912 Case
Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU cooler

pdxalex

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I'd build the rig and install Win7 with just the SSD hooked up. Keep in mind that, prior to installation, enable AHCI in Bios for your SSD.

Install Win7, go through all the updates for Windows, update all your drivers, etc. Later just hook up your new and old HDDs and do with them as you wish to copy/transfer data and/or reformat it, etc.

Sure, use your old HDD as backup internally or externally. To each his own, really. Personally, I prefer to have backups physically removed from the machine... ie if the proverbial poop hits the fan in your rig, your external drive is unaffected. That said though, I've never been real happy with external drive enclosures in the past (in terms of build quality, appearance, etc). I'd rather save the $ from an external enclosure, run the new rig with SSD + 2x HDD installed, and spend an extra $50 or so on a new smallish external HDD.

the system BIOS determines the boot order of the devices. usually SATA0 before SATA1, etc. so make sure your SDD is plugged into SATA0. You can install windows with all the drives attached, that is not a problem. the old drive will not load crap into your system. it will just be storage that you can access. Matter of fact you probably dont want to transfer your pics from the old drive to the new SSD. use the SSD for things you access frequently, use the regular hard disk for long term storage. You can use the old hard drive as a backup or external drive or simply additional storage. its up to you.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

How do I enable AHCI in the bios? I don't even know how or where to find the bios.

I've already installed W7HP 64 bit on the SSD and I can't connect to the internet because there are no network adapters installed apparently and MS support said that I have to buy a separate disk for drivers and utilities. Is that BS or what. I never heard of an OS that didn't have network drivers or adapters. I get the notorious W7 OS error 651. Ever heard of that one?

pdxalex

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

The bios is typically accessed by hitting the DEL key early in the boot sequence. You can still swap to AHCI at a later time without reinstalling windows though:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

I just put together a build and had to install the drivers as well. There should be a driver on the disc that came with your motherboard.