Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cannot enable 120hz at 1080p only lower res. Benq XL2420T

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 27, 2012 3:11:50 PM

Hello guys,

I just bought this beauty of a monitor (Benq XL2420T) and connected it with its Dual Link DVI cable to my notebook.

The notebook has an Ati 6970m with Dual Link DVI output and the card is able to do 120hz output.

The porblem is that I cannot get up to 120hz at the native resolution of 1920x1080.

If I select 120hz the resolution goes down to 1024x768, but I am sure that the monitor supports 120hz at 1920x1080p.

a b C Monitor
February 27, 2012 4:53:11 PM

The monitor does, first of all make sure your cable is really dual-link dvi, i assume you already know how it looks like (a dvi with full array of pins instead of just the lateral ones.

Second try upgrading your amd drivers to the latest version:

by the specifications it suports dual link dvi:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/notebook/graphics/amd-ra...

the most common issue when this happens is that you are not using the dual-link dvi cable, so double check that

there is also a footnote on the graphics card specs:
13-Some custom resolutions require user configuration.

maybe you can force that resolution?
February 27, 2012 5:07:34 PM

I am completely totally 100% sure that I am using a Dual Link DVI cable.

I have no idea about resolution forcing...

Both in the Windows Control Panel and in the Catalyst Control Center if I select 120hz I can only go up to 1024x768.

The drivers are up to date...

Related resources
a b C Monitor
February 27, 2012 5:14:24 PM

but can you go to 1080p at 60hz or this is also not working?

Try going to 1080p and than see the refresh rate, if it is only at 60hz remove the "hide uncompatible display refresh rates" (or something) see if you can see 120hz and test it.
February 27, 2012 6:04:15 PM

1920x1080 sure works, but only at 60hz.

If I uncheck the "hide uncompatible display refresh rates" the max remains 60, I just get more lower options, like 25 etc
February 27, 2012 6:22:29 PM

If I remember correctly, although CCC could see my monitor able to go all the way up to 120Hz, I had to install the monitor INF to finally be able to force 120Hz @ 1080p on desktop & games (I have same monitor, but on 4870s)

If you've done so, then if possible try another dual link DVI cable... unless it's some quirk with the laptop monitor screwing up the config.
February 27, 2012 6:44:33 PM

Sounds like faulty display cable or the notebook output
February 27, 2012 6:46:39 PM

dechy said:
If I remember correctly, although CCC could see my monitor able to go all the way up to 120Hz, I had to install the monitor INF to finally be able to force 120Hz @ 1080p on desktop & games (I have same monitor, but on 4870s)

If you've done so, then if possible try another dual link DVI cable... unless it's some quirk with the laptop monitor screwing up the config.

How do I install the monitor's INF file? Is that one of the files found on the cd? If yes where is it on the cd and how do I install it? If no, where do I get it and how do I install it?
a b C Monitor
February 27, 2012 7:51:29 PM

Did you examine the file son the CD ....setup.exe there ?

......*.inf there ?

Paper manual or one on the CD (Or website) shud make this very clear.
a b C Monitor
February 27, 2012 11:48:01 PM

well i have a benq xl2410t and i had no problems installing it (DESKTOP) using dual link dvi cable i just connected it, screen resolution> 1920x1080>advanced>monitor 120hertz was there... i think maybe is a laptop video card related problem never experienced that, if noone find your solution you can contact your laptop manufacturer and ask about that, sometimes can be an laptop factory output problem or limitation...
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 1, 2012 3:39:00 AM

I got same problem there. Today ive put my hands on this LCD monitor, however even tho im connecting it via dual link delivered with monitor + My 6950 for sure supports it I am not able to get it work in 120hz.

However I have no cd/dvd rom in my pc installed so I had to download some driver from benq site for this display so that might be the case.

Could any1 be that great and upload content from CD on the interwebz so I can check it out plz?
a c 128 C Monitor
March 1, 2012 4:27:52 AM

Out of curiosity, are you using any sort of adapter to connect that DL-DVI cable?
a b C Monitor
March 1, 2012 10:40:37 AM

Quote:
I got same problem there. Today ive put my hands on this LCD monitor, however even tho im connecting it via dual link delivered with monitor + My 6950 for sure supports it I am not able to get it work in 120hz.

However I have no cd/dvd rom in my pc installed so I had to download some driver from benq site for this display so that might be the case.

Could any1 be that great and upload content from CD on the interwebz so I can check it out plz?

well if you are usign a desktop version of the 6950 i think that only one of these DVI connectors are DUAL-LINK try connecting the screen to the other graphics card output.
!