Sorry. this Forum Not Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomizer

Champion
Probably a bug. I get this very frequently, but the post does go through. If you use your browser back button you'll see the post there. Don't refresh the page that says the forum is not available, or you'll double post.

been getting it for the last 2 days... its driving me nutz... i make a post and click post only to find its not available... its happening at various times of the day... and has pretty much kept me out of toms for the whole weekend...

One more attempt to post here as well as in the XP Forum. 10 to 1 it fails.

EDIT - OK so it didn't fail but earlier when I tried to post here it failed three times. I'm now having to clipboard everything I write to make it stick and I still can't post into a thread in XP although the others all work.

Could it be that the bug only hits threads where one has already contributed?

Install lazarus-form-recovery from HERE

I saw a post about this plugin a few weeks ago and would thank OP but I can't find the post where I read about it.

Works like a charm. It doesn't fix the problem but at least what you typed won't be lost in a failed post.

When you just press the back button in your browser you find what you wrote, it doesn't need a plug-in.

But now the problem is a little different, you have to refresh many times to view your post.

This is really silly - I have an e-mail saying there's a new post here. I come in and read it, write a reply and it won't post. Now evetn the post I'm responding to has fallen off the page. Lazarus is here somewhere but I can't kickstart it to retrieve my text and I just overwrote it in the clipboard by trying this link in another browser.

As I've tried to write three times today, Tom's is becoming farcical with one major bug following another.

Yea, the Back button...at least that's the way it's supposed to work. Lazarus proves it's worth in multi entry point forms and as long as Firefox gives the warning that it has to resend data when the back button is used, things are Ok here.

And there's more - yesterday when I finally thought I'd posted, the Forum main page showed me as the latest poster but there were two missing from the the=read - mine and one other to which I was replying and which had been there earlier.

ianpb

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I'm getting this problem too, had it for last three days! I've been trying to get back with a solution after someone has been helping me, now I'll be looking like an ignorant, self obsessed pig.

This is ridiculous now - I can't post anywhere this morning so I'll stay away for a few days and then I'll try again. I always find time to post whenever I can but I can't waste time being thrown back to an empty reply box every time.

It's as well this won't appear either but in case it does, I had better not say what I really think about this problem - that would get me banned for life!

Whatever happened to last year's (and the year before) complete upgrade of the whole Forum?

ianpb

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

No, it's okay, forget it. I must have caught a moment when it was working, because it's gone faulty again.

If this posts OK it will be the third one I've managed to put up using simple IE. Firefox fails every time, Opera manages to store what I wrote and puts it up on the Back button but IE seems to get through.

Maybe there are some clues there for Joe and whoever's trying to sort this out.

using opera myself and its 90% fail rate for trying to post...
the forum as is, is unusable most of the time and has gotten worse over the last week or so... starting with error 500 and now with this. i think toms needs to be taken off line for a day or 3 and needs to be streamlined...
things i have noticed and im pretty sure are responsible for some of the errors is the fact that all the forums are running the same database but not the same ui...
resulting in a post ending up in different sections depending on what region your in. on the usa forums there is what looks like a similar layout but its slightly different the. the content is 99% the same but not exactly even the home pages dont share the same standard layout. the german forum is again slightly different and its theres differences that are causing the issues by the looks of it.
standardize the whole thing. and im pretty sure the problems will dissolve...

ianpb

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I'm using Chrome and I haven't been able to post anything all day. It looks like it's a cross-browser.problem

randomizer

Champion

I think they use different databases, at least for the badge stuff. The posts may be the same DB or they may just be synchronised.

The German forum is completely different. It was built in-house. The US/UK one is a mixture of prebuilt and in-house work smashed together into a hideous monster :)

Status
Not open for further replies.