Adding wireless networking to a router

Hyperrhombus

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
Hello,
I`m trying to set up a relative`s Internet up so that it is wireless; currently the router takes signal from cable, not phone, is wired only, and has just one ethernet port. I know the number of ports can easily be expanded using a switch, but is it possible to buy a piece of hardware which could be plugged into the router to broadcast a wireless signal as well? I have looked quite thoroughly for anything that could do this but I`m pretty new to networking; am I missing something here?
Thanks

Solution
Ok, your network is now:

from a cable to cable a modem and from the cable modem's ethrenet port, it output to the computer's network card for internet access

With a wireless router, your network will be:

from a cable to cable modem and from the cable modem's ethrenet port, it output to the wireless router which allow share internet access and computer get internet through router.

And no, wireless router needs ethernet, unless it is a combined modem router which can connect to the internet and share the internet access in one device. I think when you think "wireless routers can only se phoneline as an input" you mean a combined wireless modem router, because it can access internet on it own, there is no need for ethernet input. A...

Hyperrhombus

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011

I thought wireless routers could only use a phone line as an input...
or can you set one of the ethernet ports as the input on most routers?

Also, do cable modems reach 1Gbps?

Ok, your network is now:

from a cable to cable a modem and from the cable modem's ethrenet port, it output to the computer's network card for internet access

With a wireless router, your network will be:

from a cable to cable modem and from the cable modem's ethrenet port, it output to the wireless router which allow share internet access and computer get internet through router.

And no, wireless router needs ethernet, unless it is a combined modem router which can connect to the internet and share the internet access in one device. I think when you think "wireless routers can only se phoneline as an input" you mean a combined wireless modem router, because it can access internet on it own, there is no need for ethernet input. A "true" wifi router will have ethernet input. I am not sure what cable modem you use so I don't know about the speed. Also actual internet speed often don't reach their advertised speed and 1Gbps? Where do you live? I want to move there to get that speed.

Solution

Hyperrhombus

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
Thank you!
That`s helped me a lot.
I managed to get such insane bandwidth because i`m currently in Japan, although as you say, it`s not always that high...

One last question if you have the time:
What`s the difference between a Switch and a Router?

Thanks a lot for your time!