Video card blown trying to find best one to buy beacuse im a heavy gam

munkieman

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
this is what im running my video card blew and i need to find a good one that can handle my heavy gaming and was wondering if i could put a different video card other than a ddr2 card
vista home premium sp2 32-bit

AMD Phenom II X4 940
Deneb 45nm Technology

4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 401MHz (5-5-5-15)

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. M68M-S2P (Socket M2) mother board

VX240M (1280x960@60Hz)
512MB GeForce 8400 GS (ZOTAC International)video card

Realtek High Definition Audio

450 watt power supply

Wyered1

Feb 27, 2012
Why would you need a DDR2 video card? What kind of heavy gaming? One screen at 1920x1080 resolution? I'm no video card/gaming expert, but I'll try to help you out as a computer engineer.

Just because your motherboard accepts DDR2 memory, doesn't mean you need a video card with DDR2 memory embedded. You can put any card in there and it "should" work. That being said, with your very dated system, I wouldn't invest too much in it unless you plan on building a system later. Since you are gaming on that old system, I assume this is not in your sights.

Depending on what games you are aiming for, I'd suggest something like an AMD 5770 at the very most. You could get a 7770 for $150, but I would suggest you not spend more than about 75 dollars on that system at most.

I also assume this motherboard came with some eMachines you bought at Walmart or something. Am I wrong?

I would suggest this 6450, or the equivalent in nVidia. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102933

I'm not as familiar with nVidia cards as AMD, but there is nothing wrong with nVidia cards at all. They may be even better, but usually not as cheap.

DM186

Splendid
^+1
I would suggest first, find out how many amps on the 12v rail you have. You probley don't have a very good one. We also don't know what you did or what caused your old card to go.

But for giving you the benefit of the doubt on the PSU you could go with what Wyered1 suggested or even a 6670. The Nvidia cards on the low end are way over priced and AMD has a better selection.

You are limited as your choices of cards. The biggest card would be in my opinion a 6770 but you would have to up grade your PSU. If you have to do all that up grading you should think about a new rig.

All the new games that are out and coming out are becoming very demanding which your rig now will not be able to keep up with them. Show me how many amps on the 12v are. Then we can for sure know what card you can get.

Also give me the brand but it probley is a OEM but the sticker on your PSU will have all the numbers 3.3v=5a + 5.v=10a + 12v=17a. There is a difference in peak or constant power. Good PSU = constant.