Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How remove "My Network Places" from Win Explorer?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 12:27:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

When I open Win Explorer there's a folder called "My Network Places"
that I never use. I have a stand alone XP Pro PC so I don't need it.

If I right click on it and select delete it disappears but always
returns the next time I open Win Explorer.

How can I delete it permanently?
December 7, 2004 12:27:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Right click any where on the desktop
Select 'Properties'
Select 'Desktop' tab
Push the 'Customize Desktop...' button
Remove the check mark from 'My Network Places'


"Zarbol Tsar" <zarbol@tsar.net> wrote in message
news:95B7DA5249BA851D7E@130.133.1.4...
> When I open Win Explorer there's a folder called "My Network Places"
> that I never use. I have a stand alone XP Pro PC so I don't need it.
>
> If I right click on it and select delete it disappears but always
> returns the next time I open Win Explorer.
>
> How can I delete it permanently?
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 2:57:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Zarbol,

It's possible with a registry edit. Open Registry Editor and navigate to:

[HKCR\CLSID\{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}\ShellFolder]

----
Backup the key by exporting it to a REG file.
See method 2 here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm
----

In the right-pane, create a new REG_DWORD value named Attributes

Double-click Attributes and assign it's data "20180000"

Restart Windows.

To undo the changes, delete the Attributes value.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"Zarbol Tsar" <zarbol@tsar.net> wrote in message news:95B7DA5249BA851D7E@130.133.1.4...
When I open Win Explorer there's a folder called "My Network Places"
that I never use. I have a stand alone XP Pro PC so I don't need it.

If I right click on it and select delete it disappears but always
returns the next time I open Win Explorer.

How can I delete it permanently?
Related resources
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 9:50:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I can't find that key. I'm using XP Home.



In the last exciting episode on Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:57:40 +0530,
"Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote:

|Zarbol,
|
|It's possible with a registry edit. Open Registry Editor and navigate to:
|
|[HKCR\CLSID\{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}\ShellFolder]
|
|----
|Backup the key by exporting it to a REG file.
|See method 2 here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm
|----
|
|In the right-pane, create a new REG_DWORD value named Attributes
|
|Double-click Attributes and assign it's data "20180000"
|
|Restart Windows.
|
|To undo the changes, delete the Attributes value.

<*((((><{
Fishy@Ocean.Net
December 8, 2004 2:51:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Don't have XP Home installed here at the moment, in the meantime try the
edit on line 356:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com


"Fishy" <<*(((({_~_~_~_@ocean.net> wrote in message
news:p vqcr0heov29l3kr0lhimg238qgkkaonqh@4ax.com...
>I can't find that key. I'm using XP Home.
>
>
>
> In the last exciting episode on Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:57:40 +0530,
> "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote:
>
> |Zarbol,
> |
> |It's possible with a registry edit. Open Registry Editor and navigate to:
> |
> |[HKCR\CLSID\{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}\ShellFolder]
> |
> |----
> |Backup the key by exporting it to a REG file.
> |See method 2 here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm
> |----
> |
> |In the right-pane, create a new REG_DWORD value named Attributes
> |
> |Double-click Attributes and assign it's data "20180000"
> |
> |Restart Windows.
> |
> |To undo the changes, delete the Attributes value.
>
> <*((((><{
> Fishy@Ocean.Net
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 2:53:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Modification needed for a line in that REG:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}\shell]
"Attributes"=dword:20180000

should be:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}\ShellFolder]
"Attributes"=dword:20180000

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message news:o LTv0nO3EHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
Don't have XP Home installed here at the moment, in the meantime try the
edit on line 356:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com


"Fishy" <<*(((({_~_~_~_@ocean.net> wrote in message
news:p vqcr0heov29l3kr0lhimg238qgkkaonqh@4ax.com...
>I can't find that key. I'm using XP Home.
>
>
>
> In the last exciting episode on Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:57:40 +0530,
> "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote:
>
> |Zarbol,
> |
> |It's possible with a registry edit. Open Registry Editor and navigate to:
> |
> |[HKCR\CLSID\{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}\ShellFolder]
> |
> |----
> |Backup the key by exporting it to a REG file.
> |See method 2 here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm
> |----
> |
> |In the right-pane, create a new REG_DWORD value named Attributes
> |
> |Double-click Attributes and assign it's data "20180000"
> |
> |Restart Windows.
> |
> |To undo the changes, delete the Attributes value.
>
> <*((((><{
> Fishy@Ocean.Net
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 6:20:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

On 07 Dec 2004, Ramesh [MVP] wrote:

> Zarbol,
>
> It's possible with a registry edit. Open Registry Editor and
> navigate to:
>
> [HKCR\CLSID\{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}\ShellFolder]


I use XP Pro. I have three long "strings" similar the one in your
example.

Presumably there is one of these strings for each user.

How can I tell which is which?

>
> ----
> Backup the key by exporting it to a REG file.
> See method 2 here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm
> ----
>
> In the right-pane, create a new REG_DWORD value named Attributes
>
> Double-click Attributes and assign it's data "20180000"
>
> Restart Windows.
>
> To undo the changes, delete the Attributes value.
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 6:24:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

On 08 Dec 2004, Ramesh [MVP] wrote:

> Modification needed for a line in that REG:
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}\s
> hell] "Attributes"=dword:20180000
>
> should be:
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}\S
> hellFolder] "Attributes"=dword:20180000


Do you mean that Kelly's REG fix is wrong?
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 12:12:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

The CLSID is UNIQUE.

Once in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID

Do a search for this CLSID
"{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}"

Hint: In the right-pane, (default) value will read "My Network Places".

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"Zarbol Tsar" <zarbol@tsar.net> wrote in message news:95BA9C072A50F51D7E@130.133.1.4...
On 07 Dec 2004, Ramesh [MVP] wrote:

> Zarbol,
>
> It's possible with a registry edit. Open Registry Editor and
> navigate to:
>
> [HKCR\CLSID\{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}\ShellFolder]


I use XP Pro. I have three long "strings" similar the one in your
example.

Presumably there is one of these strings for each user.

How can I tell which is which?

>
> ----
> Backup the key by exporting it to a REG file.
> See method 2 here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm
> ----
>
> In the right-pane, create a new REG_DWORD value named Attributes
>
> Double-click Attributes and assign it's data "20180000"
>
> Restart Windows.
>
> To undo the changes, delete the Attributes value.
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 2:48:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

> On 08 Dec 2004, Ramesh [MVP] wrote:
>
>> Modification needed for a line in that REG:
>>
>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}\s
>> hell] "Attributes"=dword:20180000
>>
>> should be:
>>
>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}\S
>> hellFolder] "Attributes"=dword:20180000


On 09 Dec 2004, Zarbol Tsar wrote:
>
> Do you mean that Kelly's REG fix is wrong?


BUMP! :-)

Do you mean that Kelly's REG fix is wrong?
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 3:45:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Zarbol.

I told the steps required to hide MN Places manually. You never acknowledged that?? BUMP! BUMP!

If you've missed it, check here:
news:utB6YXC3EHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"Zarbol Tsar" <zarbol@tsar.net> wrote in message news:95BDF235BA78C51D7E@130.133.1.4...
> On 08 Dec 2004, Ramesh [MVP] wrote:
>
>> Modification needed for a line in that REG:
>>
>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}\s
>> hell] "Attributes"=dword:20180000
>>
>> should be:
>>
>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}\S
>> hellFolder] "Attributes"=dword:20180000


On 09 Dec 2004, Zarbol Tsar wrote:
>
> Do you mean that Kelly's REG fix is wrong?


BUMP! :-)

Do you mean that Kelly's REG fix is wrong?
!