Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can you have dual 560's?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 27, 2012 8:23:15 PM

I have a gtx 560 right now and i want to know if its possible to have dual 560's?
And what would dual 560's be equivalent to? Like would it be a 570 or higher or lower?
Thank in advance

More about : dual 560

a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2012 8:34:00 PM

Yes you can. But what I need to know is Motherboard, CPU, PSU, etc because you may not have the rest of the system that can do it. Two 560s are a bit more powerful than a GTX580.

Post the rest of your specs and I'll see if you can.
m
0
l
February 27, 2012 8:42:47 PM

FtsArTek said:
Yes you can. But what I need to know is Motherboard, CPU, PSU, etc because you may not have the rest of the system that can do it. Two 560s are a bit more powerful than a GTX580.

Post the rest of your specs and I'll see if you can.

well i know that i need a new motherboard, i only have one express 2.0 x16
but i do have a 3.0
here it is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
my cpu is fine got i-7 2600k oc'd
need a new psu but here it is
thermaltake 600w TR600 ATX
i need some new stuff, or i mean should i just get a 580 then.... but then i have a 560 and just wasted 200 on it...
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2012 8:49:42 PM

Don't buy a 580. You've already got a 560, so you can get better performance than the 580 buy putting a second one in SLI. The 580 is both slower and more expensive, even after considering the increased cost from upgrading your motherboard and PSU.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2012 8:59:56 PM

Toms H does not recommend dual graphics cards using cards below a GTX 560 Ti.
The reason for this is that two 560s will have noticeable microstutter issues during gaming.
m
0
l
February 27, 2012 9:01:34 PM

willard said:
Don't buy a 580. You've already got a 560, so you can get better performance than the 580 buy putting a second one in SLI. The 580 is both slower and more expensive, even after considering the increased cost from upgrading your motherboard and PSU.

yeah i am just looking the 580 is soooo overpriced, and the 560 is good now just needs that extra big punch to get ultra on some games. I mean the psu won't be that bad to find a good priced one, but i am gonna drop at least 150 into motherboard to meet specs of the one i have now plus another express port.
m
0
l
February 27, 2012 9:07:26 PM

pacioli said:
Toms H does not recommend dual graphics cards using cards below a GTX 560 Ti.
The reason for this is that two 560s will have noticeable microstutter issues during gaming.

micro stuttering, it doesn't happen to everyone does it?
Also it can happen with a single card as well.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2012 9:17:01 PM

pacioli said:
Toms H does not recommend dual graphics cards using cards below a GTX 560 Ti.
The reason for this is that two 560s will have noticeable microstutter issues during gaming.

Not true. They actually recommend some cheaper multi card setups, provided you are not sensitive to micro stuttering.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2012 9:28:11 PM

willard said:
Not true. They actually recommend some cheaper multi card setups, provided you are not sensitive to micro stuttering.


Notice the monthly Best Graphics cards for the money articles... they stopped recommending setups that use anything less than a GTX 560 Ti or a 6950(edited from 6850).
m
0
l
February 27, 2012 9:30:01 PM

pacioli said:
Notice the monthly Best Graphics cards for the money articles... they stopped recommending setups that use anything less than a GTX 560 Ti or a 6850.

i mean what gpu do i need to run bf3 on ultra, i mean there isn't much single cards you can get.. I don't get why companies have not found ways around micro stuttering, and it doesn't seem that it happens with everyone.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2012 9:32:10 PM

pacioli said:
Notice the monthly Best Graphics cards for the money articles... they stopped recommending setups that use anything less than a GTX 560 Ti or a 6850.

Yes, but you specifically said that they don't recommend anything below a 560 Ti for SLI. A pair of Tis cost a little over 50% more than a pair of 6850s. I'd call that firmly below.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2012 9:47:34 PM

Hallowhead said:
micro stuttering, it doesn't happen to everyone does it?
Also it can happen with a single card as well.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

So here is the way I understand microstuttering caused by dual cards...

Each card in a dual card setup produces alternate frames. So, card one makes frame 1 and card 2 makes frame 2 then card 1 makes frame 3 etc etc etc...

What happens with microstuttering is when you have GPUs that are not powerful enough that the images produced by the second card are not different from the images produced by the first card. So even though your system is throwing 60 Fps on the screen your eyes view it the same as if it were putting 30 fps because 2 frames in the sequence are not actually different enough from eachother for your eyes to tell them apart so to your eyes they look like the same image. So frame 1 and 2 are practically the same 3 and 4 are the same 5 and 6 are the same etc etc etc...

With a card like the 560 ti and above the frames are unique. Frame 1 differs from frame 2 and frame 2 differs from frame 3 etc etc etc.

The issue of sensitiviy comes up because some people cannot tell any difference between fps above 30 fps. The human eye of some people can spot differences in fps all the way up to 60 fps. Above 60 fps there are very few that can tell any difference in fps. I personally can't tell a difference in fps after about 50 fps.

Now... if you are one of the people that can't tell the difference above 30fps then you will not be bothered by microstutter. However... if you can tell the difference in FPS you will notice the difference due to microstuttering
So... why would you pay more for a second 560 if it is going to look the same to you as one 560?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2012 9:49:20 PM

willard said:
Yes, but you specifically said that they don't recommend anything below a 560 Ti for SLI. A pair of Tis cost a little over 50% more than a pair of 6850s. I'd call that firmly below.

My bad, I meant to write 6950s. A slip of the finger...

Also in Tom's article they showed that Crossfire rigs had worse microstutter issues than SLI rigs
m
0
l
February 27, 2012 9:52:41 PM

pacioli said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

So here is the way I understand microstuttering caused by dual cards...

Each card in a dual card setup produces alternate frames. So, card one makes frame 1 and card 2 makes frame 2 then card 1 makes frame 3 etc etc etc...

What happens with microstuttering is when you have GPUs that are not powerful enough that the images produced by the second card are not different from the images produced by the first card. So even though your system is throwing 60 Fps on the screen your eyes view it the same as if it were putting 30 fps because 2 frames in the sequence are not actually different enough from eachother for your eyes to tell them apart so to your eyes they look like the same image. So frame 1 and 2 are practically the same 3 and 4 are the same 5 and 6 are the same etc etc etc...

With a card like the 560 ti and above the frames are unique. Frame 1 differs from frame 2 and frame 2 differs from frame 3 etc etc etc.

The issue of sensitiviy comes up because some people cannot tell any difference between fps above 30 fps. The human eye of some people can spot differences in fps all the way up to 60 fps. Above 60 fps there are very few that can tell any difference in fps. I personally can't tell a difference in fps after about 50 fps.

Now... if you are one of the people that can't tell the difference above 30fps then you will not be bothered by microstutter. However... if you can tell the difference in FPS you will notice the difference due to microstuttering
So... why would you pay more for a second 560 if it is going to look the same to you as one 560?

word... but two 560's probably equal a 580 plus and in reality its cheaper. But i will probably end up dying and getting a 580 one day... maybe when i am 50 years old... lol
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2012 9:55:50 PM

Hallowhead said:
word... but two 560's probably equal a 580 plus and in reality its cheaper. But i will probably end up dying and getting a 580 one day... maybe when i am 50 years old... lol


Not really... If microstuttering bothers you, you are better off just selling the 560 and getting a single 560 ti or 570.

Then you really do have an upgrade path.

Having a second GTX 560 is the same as having just one GTX 560 if you are bothered by microstutter. Sure your benchmarks may say that you FPS nearly doubled... but your eyes will not notice the difference...

And... if you are not bothered by microstutter... then you probably are not bothered by gaming at less than full(60fps) framerates. So why spend the money?

Basically this is the polite way of saying... It is not the computer that is broken... it is your eyes!
m
0
l
February 27, 2012 10:34:30 PM

pacioli said:
Not really... If microstuttering bothers you, you are better off just selling the 560 and getting a single 560 ti or 570.

Then you really do have an upgrade path.

Having a second GTX 560 is the same as having just one GTX 560 if you are bothered by microstutter. Sure your benchmarks may say that you FPS nearly doubled... but your eyes will not notice the difference...

And... if you are not bothered by microstutter... then you probably are not bothered by gaming at less than full(60fps) framerates. So why spend the money?

Basically this is the polite way of saying... It is not the computer that is broken... it is your eyes!

i am not saying their is anything wrong with my computer, i am just wanting to upgrade my gpu, and i wanted to know if i should get dual cards or a single giant. I understand what you are saying, and i am now asking what do you think is the best root? and the price diffrence between a 570 and a 580 isn' that great, so if i am upgrading i would get the 580.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2012 2:44:24 PM

That is what I have been saying. Go for a bigger GPU instead of an SLI mate for the one you have.

$125 difference between the 570 and the 580 for a few fps more is quite a premium in my opinion. But, hey it's your money. If it makes you happy go for it!

m
0
l
February 28, 2012 8:27:04 PM

pacioli said:
That is what I have been saying. Go for a bigger GPU instead of an SLI mate for the one you have.

$125 difference between the 570 and the 580 for a few fps more is quite a premium in my opinion. But, hey it's your money. If it makes you happy go for it!

yeah i decided on the 570 plus my pc can't even run the 580, my psu isn't big enough. Eventually i am gonna run dual 570's though down the road
m
0
l
!