What is a stand off switch?

kevinduan

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
I know what a stand off is, but in my cooler master 430 there is a hole slightly larder than where the standoffs and it's labeled stand off switch. There are simple instructions telling me how to install the screws. but I have no idea what this is for. Can someone explain this to me? Thanks!

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005

I've been looking at pictures of this in reviews having never heard of it either and don't see it on any review case. A pic of yours would definitely help.

kevinduan

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

Sure here is a pic. It tells me to put in a screw in the larger hole that I circled, but I don't really know what the use is for. Thanks!

4oyXx.png

kevinduan

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

Hi, thanks for your reply! I've included a pic showing the slightly larger hole in my case. The manual tells me to place a screw in it, but does not elaborate any further. Thanks for your help!

4oyXx.png

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
That hole doesn't match up with a standard mobo at all. And the online documentation for that case doesn't show anything at all about that hole. Best bet would be to ignore it and install the other 9 ATX screws like any other case.

kevinduan

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

Sorry I misread the actual name is a stand off socket. Here is a pic with the instructions

Stand%20off%20socket%20manual-1025.jpg

InvalidError

Titan
As others have said, this thing is in a non-standard location so you are better off ignoring it. If you install this unusual socket there just for the heck of it, it may end up creating shorts behind the motherboard and ruin your board. Stick to standard holes.

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005

Yup, thats exactly what the picture means. If you look at the two pictures the hole you circled in http://i.imgur.com/4oyXx.png isn't the same hole that's on the instructions. The instructions just have a generic case that they use the picture from for every case they sell.

InvalidError

Titan

That makes too much sense, lol.

I bet most people are done putting the computer together intuitively by the time they pick up the manual/leaflet and do not get a chance to see confusing illustrations.

kevinduan

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

That's what I thought at first. But further looking into my manual I have a bunch of motherboard moutning screws, but I only have one of those circular things listed on the manual. And there's only one hole big enough to fit it on my case

InvalidError

Titan

You only need one of those phillips-to-hex adapters ("circular things") to install your brass standoffs.

You screw your standoffs by hand into the motherboard tray where your motherboard holes are, use the "thing" to tighten each standoff, pull the "thing" off the standoff, put it on the next, tighten it, rinse and repeat. Once you have tightened all your standoffs, you put the "thing" away in your toolbox or wherever you put your tools and spare parts.

The 'thing' spares you the trouble of hunting down a socket wrench since the manufacturer knows you will already have a Phillips screwdriver nearby to screw the motherboard screws into the standoffs.

kevinduan

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012

Oh wow I feel stupid for not thinking about that earlier. Everything makes sense now Thanks!

InvalidError

Titan

Hehe, I got confused by the illustration too, lol.

A more intuitive illustration would have been to show a "blown-out diagram" showing the screwdriver, the adapter, the standoff and the motherboard plate with a bubble detailing the adapter and actually calling it an adapter, not just a 'stand off socket'.

G

old post but felt i had to add a comment as ive just gone the exact same thing! Had no idea where it install this crazy socket thingy. It totally threw me.