Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What is a stand off switch?

Last response: in Components
Share
August 18, 2012 2:09:08 AM

I know what a stand off is, but in my cooler master 430 there is a hole slightly larder than where the standoffs and it's labeled stand off switch. There are simple instructions telling me how to install the screws. but I have no idea what this is for. Can someone explain this to me? Thanks!

More about : stand switch

August 18, 2012 3:07:33 AM

I, for one, have no idea what you are referring to. Could you post a pic?
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 3:13:16 AM

clutchc said:
I, for one, have no idea what you are referring to. Could you post a pic?


I've been looking at pictures of this in reviews having never heard of it either and don't see it on any review case. A pic of yours would definitely help.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 18, 2012 3:28:17 AM

clutchc said:
I, for one, have no idea what you are referring to. Could you post a pic?

Sure here is a pic. It tells me to put in a screw in the larger hole that I circled, but I don't really know what the use is for. Thanks!


m
0
l
August 18, 2012 3:29:14 AM

trapper said:
I've been looking at pictures of this in reviews having never heard of it either and don't see it on any review case. A pic of yours would definitely help.


Hi, thanks for your reply! I've included a pic showing the slightly larger hole in my case. The manual tells me to place a screw in it, but does not elaborate any further. Thanks for your help!


m
0
l
August 18, 2012 3:34:23 AM

I guess the next question would be to ask you to show a pic of the instructions that tell you to do that. I have no idea what that hole is for.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 3:36:34 AM

That hole doesn't match up with a standard mobo at all. And the online documentation for that case doesn't show anything at all about that hole. Best bet would be to ignore it and install the other 9 ATX screws like any other case.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 11:34:26 AM

trapper said:
That hole doesn't match up with a standard mobo at all. And the online documentation for that case doesn't show anything at all about that hole. Best bet would be to ignore it and install the other 9 ATX screws like any other case.

Sorry I misread the actual name is a stand off socket. Here is a pic with the instructions

m
0
l
August 18, 2012 11:48:14 AM

As others have said, this thing is in a non-standard location so you are better off ignoring it. If you install this unusual socket there just for the heck of it, it may end up creating shorts behind the motherboard and ruin your board. Stick to standard holes.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 3:53:43 PM

I think you are mis-interpreting the instruction in that picture. It is simply showing how you can use the included 'socket' with a phillips screwdriver to install your various standoffs.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 5:14:38 PM

clutchc said:
I think you are mis-interpreting the instruction in that picture. It is simply showing how you can use the included 'socket' with a phillips screwdriver to install your various standoffs.

Yup, thats exactly what the picture means. If you look at the two pictures the hole you circled in http://i.imgur.com/4oyXx.png isn't the same hole that's on the instructions. The instructions just have a generic case that they use the picture from for every case they sell.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 5:16:11 PM

clutchc said:
It is simply showing how you can use the included 'socket' with a phillips screwdriver to install your various standoffs.

That makes too much sense, lol.

I bet most people are done putting the computer together intuitively by the time they pick up the manual/leaflet and do not get a chance to see confusing illustrations.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 8:08:37 PM

clutchc said:
I think you are mis-interpreting the instruction in that picture. It is simply showing how you can use the included 'socket' with a phillips screwdriver to install your various standoffs.

That's what I thought at first. But further looking into my manual I have a bunch of motherboard moutning screws, but I only have one of those circular things listed on the manual. And there's only one hole big enough to fit it on my case
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 8:19:16 PM

kevinduan said:
That's what I thought at first. But further looking into my manual I have a bunch of motherboard moutning screws, but I only have one of those circular things listed on the manual.

You only need one of those phillips-to-hex adapters ("circular things") to install your brass standoffs.

You screw your standoffs by hand into the motherboard tray where your motherboard holes are, use the "thing" to tighten each standoff, pull the "thing" off the standoff, put it on the next, tighten it, rinse and repeat. Once you have tightened all your standoffs, you put the "thing" away in your toolbox or wherever you put your tools and spare parts.

The 'thing' spares you the trouble of hunting down a socket wrench since the manufacturer knows you will already have a Phillips screwdriver nearby to screw the motherboard screws into the standoffs.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 8:27:45 PM

InvalidError said:
You only need one of those phillips-to-hex adapters ("circular things") to install your brass standoffs.

You screw your standoffs by hand into the motherboard tray where your motherboard holes are, use the "thing" to tighten each standoff, pull the "thing" off the standoff, put it on the next, tighten it, rinse and repeat. Once you have tightened all your standoffs, you put the "thing" away in your toolbox or wherever you put your tools and spare parts.

The 'thing' spares you the trouble of hunting down a socket wrench since the manufacturer knows you will already have a Phillips screwdriver nearby to screw the motherboard screws into the standoffs.

Oh wow I feel stupid for not thinking about that earlier. Everything makes sense now Thanks!
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 8:28:19 PM

..and you don't want to put any more standoffs in that your board requires. One common mistake is to have an extra unused standoff behind the board shorting something to ground.
m
0
l
August 18, 2012 9:16:48 PM

kevinduan said:
Oh wow I feel stupid for not thinking about that earlier. Everything makes sense now Thanks!

Hehe, I got confused by the illustration too, lol.

A more intuitive illustration would have been to show a "blown-out diagram" showing the screwdriver, the adapter, the standoff and the motherboard plate with a bubble detailing the adapter and actually calling it an adapter, not just a 'stand off socket'.
m
0
l
Anonymous
January 16, 2013 11:31:19 AM

old post but felt i had to add a comment as ive just gone the exact same thing! Had no idea where it install this crazy socket thingy. It totally threw me.
m
0
l
January 16, 2013 2:52:00 PM

Glad to hear the folks here have been of help. We all help each other...
m
0
l
!