Randum

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Its been a while since I built a machine but I put one together this past week and I'm just evaluating where to go from here- my only goal is gaming performance. I like maxing things out and so far it seems to max everything I throw at it (BF3, Diablo 3 Beta, SC2, Crysis2, Tribes Ascend)

ASUS P9X79 Pro, went 2011 socket
P i7 3820
XFX 6870 1GB
Patriot 8GB (2x 4gb), 1866
Normal 7200RPM 500GB WD SATA drive

I am not sold on SSD improving my performance but just my load times, any truth to this school of thought? I read a few things encouraging the idea SSD would be a worthwhile investment to even out those FPS drops.
The one thing I was thinking of doing is using the feature on the ASUS board that allows caching from a SSD in conjunction with a normal HDD...anyone use this? I was thinking of getting a 100GB SSD to drop in.

My other option just to top it off was buy another 6870 and run crossfire, because they are on sale now at my local micro center...figure this can only help gaming, and I can sit on this until I see the card limits and I can upgrade to something else..

And when I say I haven't built in a while, I'm talking my last tower was a 478 Socket p4 EE, and 4GB/8GB of ram was a lot!

Also, I might post elsewhere but monitors....V-Sync is quite the factor now considering my 32" I'm using now is only 60mhz..