Sign in with
Your question

Computer shutting down automatically...

Last response: in Components
August 18, 2012 5:14:49 AM

Hi there,

I put together the following box about 3 years ago.. (PSU is 2 years old though..replaced an Antec that was originally on it)

Mainboard: Asus M3A78-T
RAM: 5gb
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core 5k+
Video card: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro
PSU: Rocketfish RF 700WPS2 700 Watt ATX CPU

The fan on the graphic card was super noisy, so I did a stupid thing last year: unplugged it!
It worked fine until recently when it started to shut down on me automatically without any warning. I plugged the fan back in thinking it would resolve the issue, but didn’t. Sometimes it takes only a few minutes of use to shut down, while other times it works for hours before failing..so intermittent!

I ran memtest, but showed no failure (even though it shut down every time half way through the test.. but once it ran for 12 hours before it shut down..)

Checked the cpu temp with Everest: beween 33-42, which I read is normal?

Before going ahead and purchasing a healthy CPU to test out the machine with, I thought I ask you guys if you’d suspect the problem could potentially lie elsewhere? Or another thing I could easily check before biting the bullet?

Thanks a lot in advance
a b ) Power supply
August 18, 2012 5:41:45 AM

Let me get this straight. You unplugged the fan on the graphics card and used it that way for about a year. So why are you suspecting your CPU and memory. Sounds to me like you wore out your GPU(Grahics card). Get a copy of GPU-Z and tell us what your graphics card is doing. A failing graphics card can cause your computer to fail just as easily as any thing else. I would suggest that you replace the graphics card first.

You could also try removing the graphics card and running off of the Integrated Radeon HD 3300 graphics from the M3A78-T. You will have to reinstall the Video drivers.

August 18, 2012 6:16:34 AM

i would disconnect the gpu and run the pc on the integrated display adapter, and run cpu tests, if they pass and it doesnt shut down, then u fried ur graphics card. if u still have problems, it could a number of things, bad psu, cpu, bios setting, faulty mobo, or touchy ram... gonna have to test each one on its own till u identify the problem
Related resources
August 18, 2012 4:42:55 PM

JKatwyopc said:
Let me get this straight. You unplugged the fan on the graphics card and used it that way for about a year. So why are you suspecting your CPU and memory. Sounds to me like you wore out your GPU(Grahics card). Get a copy of GPU-Z and tell us what your graphics card is doing. A failing graphics card can cause your computer to fail just as easily as any thing else. I would suggest that you replace the graphics card first.

You could also try removing the graphics card and running off of the Integrated Radeon HD 3300 graphics from the M3A78-T. You will have to reinstall the Video drivers.

I know it sounds funny! I actually suspected the video card at first too, but doing a little research online, I read a faulty video card wouldnt cause sudden shut downs..worst case it would cause slow frame/second or choppy pictures etc..that's why I started testing other things..

anyway I just tried what you suggested to rule the defective gpu: removed the Radeon 2600 and connected the monitor to the Asus integrated one..about 20 minutes after running a couple of videos on youtube (at the same time) and an ad-aware scan, it shut down again..(cpu temp around 40)
a b ) Power supply
August 18, 2012 5:26:32 PM

Hmm, would have been nice to know that from the start. I would suggest you check out that power supply first. I have never had much faith in Rocketfish PSU's. Is this one yours? http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/products/computer-acc...
Also you don't really need 700W. Can you get a known good PSU to test it with, perhaps borrow one from a friend for a few days. Do you know how to use a Digital Multimeter? It would be a good idea to check your voltages coming out of the PSU.
August 28, 2012 1:38:24 AM

It was the PSU. damn Rocketfish..

thanks for the help guy :) 
!