The Epson C86 and what I have found out - so far.

I bought the Epson C86 because it has a 'black only' setting. My R200
produces lovely colour prints but poor B&W ones. I also use C86 the printer
for less important colour prints - and have now used up the original inks.

The C86 does not allow you to use 'black only' for all paper settings, but
by using heavy matte I was getting decent results. Because I bought the
printer to produce B&W I have now bought it compatible inks - very cheap
compared with Epson. What I noticed with the original cartridges, Durabrite
inks, was that the ink seemed to sit on the surface of the paper. Now I am
on Print-rite compatibles the ink does not seem to sit on the paper and the
glossy surface is more glossy.

I have not used the printer on the Durabrite paper setting because I have no
Durabrite paper. I assume the compatible cartridges are designed to be used
on ordinary glossy paper and are thus doing a better job.

The black Print-rite black ink is also producing better tones on ordinary
glossy than the original ink did.

In summary; using cheapish glossy paper from Photoglossy.com and the
Print-rite compatible ink I am getting decent black and white prints that
are black and white. Also, the colour prints are pretty good.

John
1 answer Last reply
More about epson found

    eatmorepies wrote:
    > I bought the Epson C86 because it has a 'black only' setting. My R200
    > produces lovely colour prints but poor B&W ones. I also use C86 the printer
    > for less important colour prints - and have now used up the original inks.
    >
    > The C86 does not allow you to use 'black only' for all paper settings, but
    > by using heavy matte I was getting decent results. Because I bought the
    > printer to produce B&W I have now bought it compatible inks - very cheap
    > compared with Epson. What I noticed with the original cartridges, Durabrite
    > inks, was that the ink seemed to sit on the surface of the paper. Now I am
    > on Print-rite compatibles the ink does not seem to sit on the paper and the
    > glossy surface is more glossy.
    >
    > I have not used the printer on the Durabrite paper setting because I have no
    > Durabrite paper. I assume the compatible cartridges are designed to be used
    > on ordinary glossy paper and are thus doing a better job.
    >
    > The black Print-rite black ink is also producing better tones on ordinary
    > glossy than the original ink did.

    I have a C82 and you have to remember that the C series Epsons are
    Pigment ink printers, very long lived ink (Epson and pigment
    replacements) But they don't do glossy very well. I believe Epson
    brought out a glossy paper for the C86, check their web site, but you'd
    have to use that paper.
    As for B&W MIS Associates makes a B&W ink set just for the Epson C
    series. These are quality pigment based replacement inks from one of
    the legends in the field of pigment inkjet printing. Check
    www.inksupply.com.
    Good luck

    Tom

    > In summary; using cheapish glossy paper from Photoglossy.com and the
    > Print-rite compatible ink I am getting decent black and white prints that
    > are black and white. Also, the colour prints are pretty good.
    >
    > John

Photo Epson Compatibility Cameras