New Video Card not detected.

vaheko1990

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Hello, I need some help. A few months ago my nvidia geforce 9800 gt video card died on me. As a result, my computer automatically switched to it's pre-installed graphics card chip on the motherboard. So today I finally got a used EVGA 9800gt Video card and installed it into my computer. However, when i started up my computer the hardware wasn't detected. System shows that I'm still using my motherboards Graphic card. I tried to download and install the most recent drivers from evga website, but when I tried to install the new drivers I got a message saying"The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware". I should note that I don't have the drivers CD since the new graphic card I got was used. Also, the fan from the EVGA video card is working, and the noise the card makes is there as well. So clearly the graphic card is working but not detected. Now I have no idea what to do.

Please help me!
Thank you.

vaheko1990

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Well the problem is guys I tried Nvidia website, EVGA website, and Cnet to download and install the newest drivers which is 295.73. However, like I said previously, during the installation part of the drivers the first message during system check that it gives me is "The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware". So, the installation stops, can't continue.

My power supply is a 400W PUS but I don't know what brand. I had this computer since 2008 its a:

2008 Gateway FX 4710
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.50GHz
6.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz
Gateway G33M05G1 (Socket 775)
512MB GeForce 9800 GT ---------> (that died, so now a EVGA 512MB Geforce 9800GT)

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
this happens if you download the driver x32 and are usign x64 system and the oposite too, make sure you are downloading the right driver.

it can be psu problem yes, 400w generic psus sometimes gives less than 300w and with time (like you said since 2008) capacitor aging will cause your psu to not handle the system you may need to change it if the problem continues.

Computers working with not enough energy normally start showing problems like this one and normally video card is burned when the psu is not enough.

if your installation really don't work try changing psu... (maybe your psu already toasted your 9800 (again) so (MAYBE and only with the new psu) try changing it again;

vaheko1990

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
I am almost certain the issue isn't with my psu. Especially since this new video card is still working and not burned i've only had it in my computer for 2-3 days with the fan and typical card sound coming from the system. I mean even if it was a psu problem at first my computer should have at least detected my video card, but it doesn't not even on day 1.

vaheko1990

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011

Ummmm I did not.. I didn't connect anything since my old video card wasn't connected either. It was just snapped into the motherboard, and so I thought this new Video card would be like the same.
I should note that I'm also not that aware of the computer parts and pieces, but I am learning lol.

randomkid

Distinguished
^Then that's most probably your problem. Your old 9800GT could be a green edition which does not require a separate PCIe cable connector & draws all its power from the PCIe slot so it works.

Not so with your new 9800GT if it is not a green edition.

vaheko1990

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011

Ok, so how do I go about connecting my video card to my power supply without messing anything up lol?

randomkid

Distinguished

vaheko1990

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Hey everybody thank you so much for the help. I have fixed the issue. All I needed to do was plug in the psu pcie cable to my video card. Once I did that my system recognized and installed the new video card.
Thanks to all again!