Sign in with
Your question

Computer Reboots during post

Last response: in Components
August 18, 2012 7:25:04 AM

Hello,

I've been running my computer in past 3 years now, but today it started to restart during movie playback or playing games (CSS and SC2). I thought the problem would be fix after I clean the computer cuz it had collected some dust. After I reattach all the components, the computer starts 1-2 AFTER I pressed the power button. Now it just restart during post.

Specs:

AMD 955BE
Gigabyte MA770-Ud3 (first rev - 1.0 )
Gskill 4gb ddr2
GPU Radeon 6850
Power supply Antec 500W (5 Years old)

I think the problem is either my PSU or the Motherboard. I don't have a parts or tools to test them.

More about : computer reboots post

a b ) Power supply
August 18, 2012 8:02:20 AM

It might be that PSU is failing.

Do u have another to try?
a b ) Power supply
August 18, 2012 8:06:59 AM

Or it could be the RAM.

Try to reseat it again.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 18, 2012 8:07:21 AM

Also, try this.

Reset the CMOS memory the right way as is described in the motherboard manual using the clear CMOS link with the power cord unplugged.
And when the battery is out, press the power button to discharge all the electricity from the system.
How To Clear CMOS @ http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmo...

August 18, 2012 8:58:55 AM

Yeah I did clear the cmos I even took out the battery and insert it back. Computer still doesn't work. It still continues to restart during post. I removed gpu and the ram but still restart when it boots.
August 18, 2012 7:07:45 PM

update: still not booting

When I power on my computer starts but it takes 1-2min to enter post (if it did boot), during this time if I pressed/hold the power button it does nothing I had to switch the power switch behind the power supply to turn it off if it fails to boot. Then it restarts during, after, or during loading windows.

I still think the problem is on the Motherboard or the PSU.
August 23, 2012 2:47:12 AM

update: working!

I changed the PSU.
a b ) Power supply
August 23, 2012 3:04:32 AM

Yep, it is mostly the PSU ^ : )

Good for you j14me!
!