Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Magent on monitor, fix?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 20, 2003 8:21:47 PM

If someone runs a magnet along your monitor screen, It leaves a pink (sometimes rainbow) streak, is their a way to fix this?

More about : magent monitor fix

May 27, 2003 12:47:30 PM

if its the same thing I had on a TV of mine (had a pink right side of screen when it arrived from the shop), there is a gadget that will undo this (some sort of wand) but I dont know what its called...

Hmmm, wonder if I can get a valid page fault ???
these invalid ones are far too commonplace...
May 27, 2003 10:48:14 PM

You need to use a degausser.

Most monitors have it built-in. It works each time you turn on your monitor. Usually you can also degauss with the push of a button or a selection in the monitor's menu.

If you don't have a built-in degausser you can buy them.

There's a homebrew method too but use at your own risk. Run a high current electric motor near the CRT. An electric drill will do but not cordless drill. (Don't use the drill bit, LOL!) I use a box fan. Move the motor around, near the face of the screen, as it runs. If it shakes the image then you know the motor is powerful enough. In a minute or two it will clear the distortion.

Don't remember where I learned this method but I first used it when a family member once left an automotive loud speaker (one of the 22 ounce magnet jobs) on top of a television an old television. It sat there for probably months. One day we needed that old television but there was a nice green and pink distortion on one third of the screen. I remembered the homebrew degausser which worked like a charm.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>
a b C Monitor
March 9, 2012 3:31:14 AM

necro spammer was here
!