Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a very specific type of gaming mouse

Last response: in Components
August 18, 2012 9:23:02 AM

I have been searching pretty extensively for a mouse that will fit my very specific style, but I haven't had much luck. I'm looking for a claw grip gaming mouse, preferably a lightweight and somewhat thin one. The biggest problem is that I hold my mouse different from almost everyone else. I prefer to hold the mouse with my index finger on left click, my middle finger always over the scroll wheel, my ring finger on right click, with my thumb and pinkie stabilizing both sides. I have had a few different mice, but I have yet to come across one that feels perfectly natural. The closest I have come is my Logitech MX518, but it still doesn't feel perfect. I have had a Microsoft Sidewinder mouse in the past and I loved the side button positioning, but it was too big/wide for my hands. It bent my pinkie too much, which caused discomfort after playing for a short time. I have recently tried a SteelSeries Sensei, but it felt a little too wide where I had my pinkie positioned, so that also caused discomfort. I have all but given up on finding a mouse that will feel right, but I thought I would see if anyone else has had the same problem.

My ideal mouse would have:

1) Side buttons like a Sidewinder (one button on top of the other, so they're both easy to reach without stretching)
2) Lightweight design for claw grip
3) Pretty thin base so my pinkie wouldn't get bent unnaturally
4) Laser preferably
a b 4 Gaming
August 18, 2012 4:32:00 PM

The Logitech G9x mouse is an interesting option as it has a weighting system where you can add or subtract the weights to get to your desired weight and it also comes with an addon cover for people with large hands or leave it off for small hands. It's also a short style and not the long type so I think it would be good for a claw style.
The Razer Imperator 2012 is different in that the side buttons can be moved forward or towards the back.
The Cyborg Rat mouse might be a choice that can be good for your style since it's completely adjustable.
m
l
Related resources
August 19, 2012 9:19:04 AM

Thanks for the responses!

I actually have already tried the G9x and it was a little too wide. I even tried it without any of the covers, but it didn't feel like the side buttons were intended to be used without one of the covers on. Also, I have tried Razer mice before and I haven't really found one that felt right for my hand. Although, the Imperator doesn't look too bad. Also, I have browsed through that list before, henydiah, and none of them seem to be quite right for me. The Cooler Master CM Storm Spawn probably looks the closest to what I would want, but it looks like the finger rest on the right is meant for a ring finger and I don't think it would feel quite natural for me. I would be willing to try it if it wasn't for that finger rest...

I just wish I could find a mouse with button positioning just like the Sidewinder, but without the large size.
m
l
August 19, 2012 9:22:20 AM

Oh, and I have looked into the Cyborg RAT 7 and it seems the mouse is a little on the large and wide side, from what I've read. Also, the side buttons don't really look like what I'm looking for.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2012 3:52:27 PM

Corsair Vengeance M90 Black 15 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Performance, MMO/RTS Gaming Mouse $59.99 and a $10 rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

With 15 buttons this may be one that you could find with a button arrangement to suit your grip.
m
l
August 21, 2012 3:13:07 AM

inzone said:
Corsair Vengeance M90 Black 15 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Performance, MMO/RTS Gaming Mouse $59.99 and a $10 rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

With 15 buttons this may be one that you could find with a button arrangement to suit your grip.

I actually looked into that one a little bit and it seemed interesting. However, my friend bought an M60 and it seemed a little too big in my hand, so I imagine that one would feel the same. Thanks for all the great responses though! I think I might have just looked at every possibility already. I might just have to try getting used to the standard grip or stick with my MX518 :/ 
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 21, 2012 4:59:12 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

I would have to disagree with your assumption about the two mice being the same and while I'm not trying to convince you to buy one or the other if you look at the two side by side, they don't look like the same style. You could tend to think that because of the model number they would be the same style but after looking at the two side by side they do look different. Unless you are able to put the Vengence M90 in your hand you may be passing up your answer.
Too bad you don't have another friend who bought the M90.
m
l
August 21, 2012 8:28:55 AM

inzone said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

I would have to disagree with your assumption about the two mice being the same and while I'm not trying to convince you to buy one or the other if you look at the two side by side, they don't look like the same style. You could tend to think that because of the model number they would be the same style but after looking at the two side by side they do look different. Unless you are able to put the Vengence M90 in your hand you may be passing up your answer.
Too bad you don't have another friend who bought the M90.

Well I actually saw both mice in their respective packages at the store. While I wasn't able to take them out to try them for myself, it did look like they were pretty close to the same size. Looking at the dimensions online, it lists them both as the same, although the M90 weighs more. It looks as if the M90 is a little less wide from the pictures, but I don't really like heavy mice. I thought the M60 was a little heavy when I tried it out, so I'm sure I would like the M90 less in that respect. It's just a shame that there are few places to actually try out mice, or maybe I would have found something close to my ideal mouse.
m
l
August 24, 2012 10:20:28 AM

Saucer-Like said:
I'm looking for a claw grip gaming mouse, preferably a lightweight and somewhat thin one. The biggest problem is that I hold my mouse different from almost everyone else. I prefer to hold the mouse with my index finger on left click, my middle finger always over the scroll wheel, my ring finger on right click, with my thumb and pinkie stabilizing both sides.

I am pretty much exactly the same as you. The only differences really are that my style is more fingertip than claw and I rest my wrist on a gel rest (this one). I've had a Microsoft laser wired 6000 mouse for the past 5 years and it's only today I started looking for an up-to-date replacement that suits my finder style better. As far as I can see, the Logitech G9x doesn't provide any pinky rest so I have gone for the coolermaster storm spawn. I almost bought the inferno as I'm on a budget, but found a spawn for only £25 on Ebay. I'll let you know how it works for me. Fingers crossed!
m
l
!