Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 28, 2012 2:22:36 AM

Hello,I have a
Core 2 duo e6550 2.33ghz
msi g31tm-p21
4gb memory
500gb sata
cooler master 500 watt
my question is a graphics card I dont know which one to buy I've seen my motherboard has PCIe x 16 so do I have to stick with this format or can I purchase a gddr 3 card instead this is confusing me thanks for the help highly appreciated!

More about : computer build

February 28, 2012 2:36:52 AM

PCIe x 16 is the slot type. thats the port the card will go into on your motherboard. gddr3 is the type of graphics ram on the video card you are looking at. the ram does not matter. its the slot. you have to buy a pcie x 16 OR pcie 2.0 card. no agp cards. tell me your price range and what you want to use the card for and i can help you pick one.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
February 28, 2012 3:08:13 AM

TheBen95 is correct. Also, GDDR3 is a relatively old memory technology and has been replaced with DDR3 and GDDR5. Also, your CPU is pretty slow and might bottleneck even low end gaming. I also worry about your power supply. Cooler master is not among the best brands, they can be somewhat variable in quality between different models.

The maximum wattage a power supply can handle decreases with age and that compounds possible problems. You should be fine if you don't use a high power video card, but it is something to consider. I don't know how old your power supply is, but since it is a Core 2 system I assume it is pretty old, around 3 to 5 years old unless the power supply is older or newer than the rest of the system. You shouldn't have a problem, but it is possible that you might.

Other than that, like Ben95 said, just state the budget and it will be possible to recommend cards to you.
m
l
Related resources
February 28, 2012 3:09:38 AM

between $100 and $150 and for games. I'm building this for my 12 year old son he like minecraft and I bought him a roxio game capture so my computer wont run it so I'm doing this for him
m
l
February 28, 2012 3:16:33 AM

everything I got I just recently purchase except the cpu I only got that cpu because his game capture says minimum requirements thanks again for the information this is all helpful trying to learn this and is his birthday gift so I trying to do my best
m
l

Best solution

a c 181 U Graphics card
February 28, 2012 3:23:38 AM

delrayfro said:
everything I got I just recently purchase except the cpu I only got that cpu because his game capture says minimum requirements thanks again for the information this is all helpful trying to learn this and is his birthday gift so I trying to do my best

The biggest GPU card you can run with the 2 cores is a 6770. But as stated above the PSU is on the list of do not buy. The PSU's should be Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, and XFX etc.

If you use that PSU you would need to stay in the 65xx series or lower. As to not burn anything up. Here a few links to help you. Good luck with your build Your 12 year will love it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

February 28, 2012 3:58:21 AM

I will definitely buy that psu and send back the other one now out of the three cards will the 6770 be ok or will cause problems down the road
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
February 28, 2012 4:02:05 AM

You might want to ignore the 6670 there, it is about the same price as the 6770 while being much slower. The 6570 is even worse.

The 6770 shown in the link is good for it's price, as is the power supply.

@DM186

The core count isn't why a faster video card can be used, it's the performance per core. An i3 with only two cores or a Sandy Bridge Pentium with only two cores is almost as fast as an i5 without an overclock and both are capable of running with even Radeon 6870s and maybe 6950s.

Having only two cores does hurt, but not nearly as much as the low performance per core. Core 2 is roughly comparable to Phenom II in IPC so at the same clock rate, a Phenom II core is roughly equal to a Core 2 core.

If that e6550 was given a significant overclock then it would be much less of a problem. At only 2.33GHz it is roughly comparable to a dual core Sandy Bridge Pentium/Celeron at around 1.5GHz or 1.6GHz. A 3 GHz Pentium or i3 is roughly equal to a 4.5GHz Core 2 Duo, I don't think they clock that high safely. However, with a much higher clock rate (like 3GHz or so), that e6550 will be a lot better.

A dual core i3 is better than an eight core FX chip in gaming unless you give the FX a huge overclock. This happens because games rarely utilize more than one or two threads. More cores just mean more room to offload work not being done by the game such as the OS and any background tasks or anything else being run as you game.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
February 28, 2012 4:02:40 AM

delrayfro said:
I will definitely buy that psu and send back the other one now out of the three cards will the 6770 be ok or will cause problems down the road

The 6770 will be okay.
m
l
February 28, 2012 4:17:35 AM

awesome thank you all for the feed back I now no what to buy thanks again!
m
l
February 28, 2012 4:27:09 AM

Best answer selected by delrayfro.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
February 28, 2012 12:07:45 PM

Glad to help.
m
l
!