XBox 360 Live migration...

Last response: in Video Games
June 22, 2005 12:24:25 PM

Been reading about the XBox 360 Live and it all sounds very promising.
Ability to pull up the "dashboard" while games are still running is very
cool. All the games using the same standard interferface for IM'ing and
such is cool. Being able to stream media files from your local (W)LAN is an
expected natural progression. Can't wait.

Didn't come across anything about how migration from current XBox Live will
work. Surely, Microsoft is anticipating many to sign up for the premium
XBox 360 Live, yet want to continue Live for the old XBox.

I wonder:

If gamertags will transfer over? If so (same gamertags on both Lives), will
it be possible to be logged into both Lives simultaneously?

If Microsoft will offer both Live's under one payment. I'd expect and be
willing to pay more for both, but would think there were would be a
"combined package" (even if services are completetly seperate) for less $$
than buying both individually.

Cheers,
-E
June 22, 2005 12:24:26 PM

I'd imagine Microsoft would allow some way of importing your Live
information of their end (or transfer via memory card; is that possible
now?) and allow you to play out the remainder of your Live Subscription
on the 360 and the xbox whereby you could do the renewal through
marketplace. Don't know about at the same time though.However, I don't
think it would be good business practice to charge you for two separate
lives accounts though. They should be one in the same since MS's motto
is software: platform independence.

Just my $.02
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 1:10:17 PM

Eras wrote:

> If gamertags will transfer over?

Microsoft has said yes to this

> If so (same gamertags on both Lives), will
> it be possible to be logged into both Lives simultaneously?

I do not think this will be possible. There will not be a sister Live
service but the current Live will have new features like Silver Live
for the new xbox360 customer.

> If Microsoft will offer both Live's under one payment. I'd expect and be
> willing to pay more for both, but would think there were would be a
> "combined package" (even if services are completetly seperate) for less $$
> than buying both individually.

There will be only one Live service. It will support a wider feature
set, some of it you will might not be able to use if you are logging in
from the old xbox.
Related resources
June 22, 2005 1:30:36 PM

I'm not that worried about Live migration, I'm sure Microsoft will find
a way to make that work. I hope the media file transfer they're talking
about extends to all the songs I ripped (and named!) to the Xbox hard
drive.

- Jordan
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 6:07:29 PM

"theOne" wrote in message ...
> I'd imagine Microsoft would allow some way of importing your Live
> information of their end (or transfer via memory card; is that possible
> now?) and allow you to play out the remainder of your Live Subscription
> on the 360 and the xbox whereby you could do the renewal through
> marketplace. Don't know about at the same time though.However, I don't
> think it would be good business practice to charge you for two separate
> lives accounts though. They should be one in the same since MS's motto
> is software: platform independence.
>

> Just my $.02

Yep, I agree. It would make sense for the Lives to be the "same service"
(at least appear so on the user's end). Even if they are two seperate
networks with their own architectures on Microsoft's end, it shouldn't be
too hard for them to make both look seamless to the user.

Not expecting any X360 game to talk to X1 for game play of course, but would
be cool if the IM's from the dashboards talked (along with your friend's
list, regardless if they are on X360 or X1).

Cheers!
-E
!