  • Microsoft
  • Customization
  • Windows XP
December 7, 2004 12:10:49 AM

I don't know how or when it changed, but the default action in the context
menu--the action taken when double-clicking on a folder in explorer--is
emboldened on Search rather than Open. So I have to right click every
folder and select open to navigate, otherwise it opens a search dialogue
instead. I figured out how to select a context menu default action years
ago, but can't remember how. Someone solve my problem.
-blue057@msn.com

More about : change default action context menu

Anonymous
December 7, 2004 2:01:35 AM

Hi Mikey,

Previously posted by Kelly MS-MVP:

Go to Start/Run and type in: regsvr32 /i shell32

If that doesn't correct the issue use this automated edit:

Search Opens When Double Clicking a Folder or Drive (Line 18)

To use the VBS File: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive
(you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double-click the
vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is done.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

mikeyv wrote:
> I don't know how or when it changed, but the default
> action in the context menu--the action taken when
> double-clicking on a folder in explorer--is emboldened on
> Search rather than Open. So I have to right click every
> folder and select open to navigate, otherwise it opens a
> search dialogue instead. I figured out how to select a
> context menu default action years ago, but can't remember
> how. Someone solve my problem. -blue057@msn.com
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 3:56:38 AM

Hi,

Type this at Star/Run and press enter

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"mikeyv" <blue057@msn.com> wrote in message news:e0DaNpA3EHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I don't know how or when it changed, but the default action in the context menu--the action taken
>when double-clicking on a folder in explorer--is emboldened on Search rather than Open. So I have
>to right click every folder and select open to navigate, otherwise it opens a search dialogue
>instead. I figured out how to select a context menu default action years ago, but can't remember
>how. Someone solve my problem.
> -blue057@msn.com

December 7, 2004 4:52:42 PM

This problem occurs when you alter the "File Folders" entries via File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory" feature for folders.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

As you've learnt, "regsvr32 /i shell32" command fixes this problem.
(Courtesy of David Candy)

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"mikeyv" <blue057@msn.com> wrote in message news:e0DaNpA3EHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
I don't know how or when it changed, but the default action in the context
menu--the action taken when double-clicking on a folder in explorer--is
emboldened on Search rather than Open. So I have to right click every
folder and select open to navigate, otherwise it opens a search dialogue
instead. I figured out how to select a context menu default action years
ago, but can't remember how. Someone solve my problem.
-blue057@msn.com
December 30, 2004 3:57:04 AM

Guys i dont know what this does or what it did, but this is dennispoledna and
it worked for me. i guess was playing around about a month ago on my test
systems and this was the result i had. I didnt know it till my son said dad
how do you make it go directly to a folders files... that was back on 10/2
opps. guess i know better now. so what changed inthe REG?????

any other pointers and topics you all might have i would appreciate for
futures

Thanks for the tip/

"mikeyv" wrote:

> I don't know how or when it changed, but the default action in the context
> menu--the action taken when double-clicking on a folder in explorer--is
> emboldened on Search rather than Open. So I have to right click every
> folder and select open to navigate, otherwise it opens a search dialogue
> instead. I figured out how to select a context menu default action years
> ago, but can't remember how. Someone solve my problem.
> -blue057@msn.com

Anonymous
December 30, 2004 5:38:53 PM