change default action in context menu

I don't know how or when it changed, but the default action in the context
menu--the action taken when double-clicking on a folder in explorer--is
emboldened on Search rather than Open. So I have to right click every
folder and select open to navigate, otherwise it opens a search dialogue
instead. I figured out how to select a context menu default action years
ago, but can't remember how. Someone solve my problem.
-blue057@msn.com
5 answers Last reply
More about change default action context menu

    Hi Mikey,

    Previously posted by Kelly MS-MVP:

    Go to Start/Run and type in: regsvr32 /i shell32

    If that doesn't correct the issue use this automated edit:

    Search Opens When Double Clicking a Folder or Drive (Line 18)

    To use the VBS File: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive
    (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double-click the
    vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is done.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    mikeyv wrote:
    > I don't know how or when it changed, but the default
    > action in the context menu--the action taken when
    > double-clicking on a folder in explorer--is emboldened on
    > Search rather than Open. So I have to right click every
    > folder and select open to navigate, otherwise it opens a
    > search dialogue instead. I figured out how to select a
    > context menu default action years ago, but can't remember
    > how. Someone solve my problem. -blue057@msn.com

    Hi,

    Type this at Star/Run and press enter

    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "mikeyv" <blue057@msn.com> wrote in message news:e0DaNpA3EHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >I don't know how or when it changed, but the default action in the context menu--the action taken
    >when double-clicking on a folder in explorer--is emboldened on Search rather than Open. So I have
    >to right click every folder and select open to navigate, otherwise it opens a search dialogue
    >instead. I figured out how to select a context menu default action years ago, but can't remember
    >how. Someone solve my problem.
    > -blue057@msn.com

    This problem occurs when you alter the "File Folders" entries via File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory" feature for folders.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

    As you've learnt, "regsvr32 /i shell32" command fixes this problem.
    (Courtesy of David Candy)

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "mikeyv" <blue057@msn.com> wrote in message news:e0DaNpA3EHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    I don't know how or when it changed, but the default action in the context
    menu--the action taken when double-clicking on a folder in explorer--is
    emboldened on Search rather than Open. So I have to right click every
    folder and select open to navigate, otherwise it opens a search dialogue
    instead. I figured out how to select a context menu default action years
    ago, but can't remember how. Someone solve my problem.
    -blue057@msn.com

    Guys i dont know what this does or what it did, but this is dennispoledna and
    it worked for me. i guess was playing around about a month ago on my test
    systems and this was the result i had. I didnt know it till my son said dad
    how do you make it go directly to a folders files... that was back on 10/2
    opps. guess i know better now. so what changed inthe REG?????

    any other pointers and topics you all might have i would appreciate for
    futures

    Thanks for the tip/

    "mikeyv" wrote:

    > I don't know how or when it changed, but the default action in the context
    > menu--the action taken when double-clicking on a folder in explorer--is
    > emboldened on Search rather than Open. So I have to right click every
    > folder and select open to navigate, otherwise it opens a search dialogue
    > instead. I figured out how to select a context menu default action years
    > ago, but can't remember how. Someone solve my problem.
    > -blue057@msn.com

Configuration Default Microsoft Customization Windows XP